19

Mirana glances at Lawrence who is drumming his fingers against the steering wheel as they cruise through the streets of LA

"Have you spoken to Lucy today?" Mirana asks.

"No, why?"

"Emmett broke up with her over text," Mirana says and Lawrence winces.

"Ouch,"

"7-Adam-12, reports of a 417 at the local high school, S.W.A.T. is en route but they're requesting backup,"

"Show 7-Adam-12 responding," Mirana says into the radio as Lawrence turns on the lights and sirens. "That's Tamara's school"

Lawrence drives through the streets as the sirens blare loudly. Mirana grips the door handle, ready to get out of the car as soon as they arrive on the scene.

Once they arrive, Lawrence slams his foot on the brake and Mirana is out of the car before he's even come to a full stop, her eyes scanning the faces of fleeing students and dread settles in her stomach.

Mirana pulls her gun from her holster and Lawrence follows suit as they approach the main door. The two officers creep through the hallway, directing panicked students to run out of the large double doors.

Mirana and Lawrence push open the doors that aren't locked, scanning for the shooter when gunshots sound out.

"7-Adam-12, shots fired," Mirana says, giving their location. "Currently no sighting of the shooter"

Mirana pushes open the door to the female bathroom and she can hear muffled sobs coming from one of the stalls.

"LAPD, it's safe to come out," Mirana says, keeping her voice quiet and the door flies open to reveal Tamara.

"Mirana!" Tamara gasps, wrapping her arms around the woman who returns the hug.

"You need to go outside, straight through the main doors, okay?" Mirana says, pushing a strand of hair out of Tamara's face. "I'll check on you once all of this is over okay?"

"Okay," Tamara nods as Lawrence pushes open the bathroom door.

"No sign of the shooter,"

"Run like hell," Mirana says and Tamara bolts towards the main doors.

"We're going to need to split up," Lawrence says and Mirana nods. "You take the library, I'll take the gym. Constant radio contact"

Mirana creeps down the corridor, her gun still in hand as she approaches the library. She peers through the glass to see a boy waving a gun around wildly as students sob, clinging onto each other like a life line.

"7-Adam-12," Lawrence's voice crackles over the radio. "I don't have eyes on the shooter, I'm evacuating students now"

"All units be advised," Mirana whispers into her radio. "The shooter is in the library"