12

"You sure you want to come with me?" Mirana asks Tim, slotting the key into the door

"You sure you want to come with me?" Mirana asks Tim, slotting the key into the door. "You'll spend the whole night questioning everything about yourself"

"I'll be fine,"

"Alright, at some point, pretend to llorar y vete, it's what I do,"

"Mirana dear!" Mrs Chen hurries over and presses kisses to Mirana's cheeks.

"Mrs Chen-"

"How many times do I have to tell you?" The woman scolds her. "It's Vanessa. Oh and who's this?"

"This is Tim," Mirana says.

"Oh yes, Jackson told me all about the two of you," Mrs Chen smiles at them.

"Oh great," Mirana forces a smile on her face.

"You're recently divorced aren't you Tim?" Mrs Chen asks Tim who nods with a tight smile on his lips.

"I'm gonna kill West," Tim murmurs.

"Sit, sit," Mrs Chen smiles at them. "Mirana we haven't caught up in so long, you always miss my calls"

"Yeah, sorry about that," Mirana says insincerely.

"I can't help but wonder if it's because maternal figures scare you after losing your own,"

"So it begins," Mirana whispers to Tim as she sits on the couch.

"So," Mrs Chen clasps her hands together. "I'm right in saying there's a bit of an age gap between you both aren't I?"

"Yes," Tim nods.

"How big?" Mrs Chen asks.

"Twelve years," Mirana mutters.

"Interesting," Mrs Chen nods. "Do you find it strange Mirana?"

"Find what strange?"

"That Tim has been married, had a whole other life before you? Considering all of your college relationships were purely sexual-"

Mirana buries her face in her hands at Mrs Chen's words as Tim stares at the ceiling.

"I apologise," Mrs Chen says.

"It's fine," Mirana grits out.

"Now, I heard you arrested your father after he escaped from custody," Mrs Chen says to Mirana.

"I did,"

"Did that help you get some closure?"

"Sure," Mirana replies, cursing Lucy in her head.

"How is it for you, Tim?" Mrs Chen asks the man.

"How is what?" Tim asks.

"Well Mirana has a lot of personal struggles, how does that impact you?"

"It doesn't," Tim says, taking Mirana's hand into his own. "For you to imply anything remotely like that is disrespectful to anyone who has struggled in their lives. I would say it was nice meeting you but I don't like lying. Come on Mira"

Tim pulls Mirana to her feet and they leave a stunned Mrs Chen behind as Tim slams the apartment door closed behind them.

"The age gap doesn't bother you does it?" Mirana asks Tim who shakes his head.

"Of course not," Tim says as he starts the car. "Why do you ask?"

"She's all in my head," Mirana replies.

"Does it bother you?" Tim asks.

"No," Mirana shakes her head. "The part about you being divorced. Already having a serious relationship with that level of commitment-"

"Hey," Tim grabs her hand with his free one. "Isabel is my past, you are my present and future. Now I have something very serious to ask you"

"Okay?"

"Sushi or Pizza tonight?"

"You gilipollas! I thought it was serious!"

"Our food choices are serious, you're so picky," Tim says. "I made pasta the other day and you said that it didn't feel like a pasta day!"

"Because it wasn't!"

"So what do you want?" Tim asks. "We'll stop off somewhere on the way home"

"Sushi," Mirana nods. "Definitely sushi. And wine. Lots of wine"

"She really gets under your skin huh?"

"She's a psychiatrist, of course, she does," Mirana says, grabbing her phone.

"Hello?"

"You owe me big time Lucy Chen," Mirana says into the phone. "Your mother asked me if it bothers me that Tim is a divorced man bothers me because I slept around in college"

"She didn't!"

"Oh, she did," Mirana says. "She also asked Tim if all of my personal issues impact him"

"Alright, I've got a plan,"

"It better be good,"

"I'm going to get Wesley to call them as a divorce lawyer and tell them how much it'll cost,"

"That-" Mirana pauses as she thinks about it. "Might actually work. Have fun with your mother, bye"

"Bye Mira,"

"Her mom's such a bitch," Mirana says to Tim who hums in agreement.