14

Mirana glances at her phone as Tim drives the car through the streets

Mirana glances at her phone as Tim drives the car through the streets. People are still frantically running to their cars or into their houses. Cars are swerving on the road as they try to get out of LA while they still have time.

"Trece minutos," Mirana says.

"Stop checking the time,"

"A missile is about to come and eradicate L.A., wiping us off of the earth," Mirana says. "So excuse me for wanting to know how much longer I have left"

"A, no, it's not. It's a false alarm. And, B, counting down the minutes wouldn't accomplish anything, even if it was real," Tim says.

"So you're saying think about something else?"

"Yeah," Tim nods.

"What could I possibly think about that will push impending fiery death from the forefront of my mind?" Mirana asks.

"What you're going to wear to the wedding or what you want to do once you're a P2," Tim suggests.

"The first one," Mirana says.

"So, what are you gonna wear?"

"Well, I might not even go, it depends on Lucy," Mirana shrugs. "But I need to go dress shopping"

"Why?" Tim asks.

"She wants people to wear champagne-coloured dresses and beige suits," Mirana explains. "It's going to be so bland. Plus ones are also an option but I know you don't do weddings"

"I'll go," Tim says with a shrug. "If we're not incinerated before that happens"

"We also have to find Lucy a date," Mirana sighs. "Hey, look"

Tim glances over to where Mirana is pointing to see people running out of Amari's store as a gunshot rings out through the air. The front window shatters, sending glass scattering across the pavement.

Mirana and Tim get out of the car, crossing the road before using the wall as cover in case Amari thinks they are looters.

"Amari, it's Tim!" Tim shouts as looters flee the store.

"Bradford?!" Amaria shouts back.

"Yeah. You all right?"

"Yeah, but Lewis took a bottle to the head," Amari replies.

"All right, just put down the shotgun," Tim says as they approach the doorway to the store.

"They're robbing me. I got to protect my store," Amari says.

"We're here now, so put it down. Put it on the counter. Okay. Put it down," Tim says.

"O-Okay. All right,"

Once Amari places the shotgun down on the counter, Tim and Mirana enter the store.

"Check him out," Tim says to Mirana.