42

Tim knocks on the front door of the safe house and it's answered by a deputy in street clothes

Tim knocks on the front door of the safe house and it's answered by a deputy in street clothes. Tim lifts his badge to show to the officer

"LAPD, Bradford, Cabrera and Nolan," Tim says as they walk in.

Sean Del Monte approaches them and he grins at Mirana, offering her a handshake.

"Nice to see you again,"

"Likewise," Mirana smiles at him.

"How do you-?" Tim asks, looking between the two.

"He was at the deposition for my father's trial," Mirana says.

"Are you Officer Nolan?" Del Monte asks Tim.

"Nolan," Nolan raises his hand.

"Hey," Del Monte shakes Nolan's hand. "I'm ADA Sean Del Monte. Jessica Russo told me you'd be helping out"

"Sir, Officers Nolan and Cabrera are rookies. I'm their superior officer, Tim Bradford,"

"Oh. Sorry," Del Monte says. "I just assumed that he'd be in charge. The last guy Jessica dated was a Navy SEAL"

"Seriously?" Nolan asks.

"Yeah," Del Monte nods. "Talk about a strong handshake, like a vise grip -"

"Okay, can we get the download on our protectee?" Tim asks.

"Of course. Yeah, Brad Hayes," Del Monte points at the man sitting at the dining table who waves at them. "Worked Border Patrol for 12 years down in Temecula. Rose to second in command. Then he turned around and started using what we taught him to help the other side. He charged the cartels a fortune to smuggle people in and out. Now he's naming names"

"No wonder he's hiding out here," Nolan says.

"A man like that must have hundreds out for his blood," Mirana says.

"Yeah, he's testifying before a grand jury tomorrow," Del Monte nods. "Look, Sheriff's Department will coordinate shift changes. Here's my card. Use the cell number in case anything comes up, no matter how small"

"Will do," Tim says.

"It's very nice to meet both of you. Nice to see you again Mirana," Del Monte says. "And, again, sorry for the confusion."

"No worries," Nolan says, watching the ADA team leave before he turns to Mirana. "Jessica dated a Navy SEAL?"

"Maybe she wanted a change of pace," Mirana says with a teasing grin.

"Ouch,"

"Focus, Boots," Tim says. "Nolan do a sweep of the house. Note ingress and egress points, escape avenues, and sight lines. Report back in 10. Cabrera, watch him"

"Yes, sir," Nolan nods.

Mirana walks into the dining room, sitting on one of the chairs as the man grins at her.