35

"You look hot," Mirana says, straightening the lapels of Tim's suit

"This tie is pissing me off," Tim mutters and Mirana swats his hands away.

"Here," Mirana quickly fixes the tie before straightening his collar. "I can't believe I'm stuck behind the desk all morning"

"It could be worse," Tim says.

"Oh yeah?" Mirana asks.

"You could have been paired with Smitty and his pregnancy questions all morning," Tim says.

"I can't wait to deal with those citizen complaints," Mirana says.

"We need to work on that," Tim says as they walk towards the reception desk. "Have fun with reception duty"

"You're an ass,"

"You love my ass,"

"Especially in that suit," Mirana nods, stopping at the desk.

"Take a cold shower," Tim tuts playfully. "I'll see you later"

"See you later," Mirana says, taking a seat behind the desk. "Who's waiting?"

"Hi," A woman smiles at her. "I need to report a crime"

"Yes, take this form and fill it out, then bring it back to the desk,"

"I need you to go and arrest my nail tech," The woman says. "I asked for sky blue nails, she's given me baby blue. I paid $50 dollars for them"

"Did you pay before or after the service was given?" Mirana asks.

"After,"

"Then you accepted the nails as satisfactory," Mirana says. "If you wish to pursue this further then you will need to take this to a civil court, not a criminal one. Have a nice day. Who's next?"

Mirana massages her temples, checking the time on the computer screen as a man comes up to the desk.

"I need to get a restraining order," He says.

"Okay. Uh, against who?" Mirana asks, grabbing a clipboard.

"My cat," The man says and Mirana puts the clipboard back down. "Meow Tse Tung"

"The LAPD only handles complaints against people," Mirana says. "Animal control may be better-"

"Don't you want to know what he did?"

"No," Mirana shakes her head. "I hope you have a nice day. Who's next?"

A pretty woman approaches the desk, a dazzling smile on her face.

"Hi. I'm Valerie Castillo," The woman introduces herself, showing her lanyard. "I work for the Los Angeles Herald. I'm here to see yesterday's case reports"

"Okay. You a reportero de crimenes?" Mirana asks, handing her the binder.

"Um, not yet," Valerie says. "I write for the Style Section, going on 15 years. But I'm over it. It's all been reduced to sex tips and celebrity gossip. You know, the clickbait"