04 Clara

Clara POV.

Arthur smiles mockingly again. "I have certain requirements for a woman's measurements. How dare you propose such an idea to me?"

"..."

I didn't intend to bring it up; it was you who asked me. I say in my mind.

But now the problem is I have nowhere to sleep, so I raise my head and smile at him, "I just want to sleep on your sofa, is that okay?"

Arthur raises an eyebrow, "Do you think that's okay?"

I no longer want to embarrass myself, so I turn and leave.

I'm going to take the elevator, but the elevator door opens by itself, and the next second, Theodore walks out of it.

He smiles at me, "Good evening, Rose."

How does he know my name?

Before I can think further, he's already saying, "I was just at the downstairs bar and heard the staff say that there's an unlucky female guest today. Her room has air conditioning problems. Could that be you?"

"...It's me," I force a smile, "I'm really having a stroke of bad luck today."

"This is life," Theodore nods, then asks, "What are you going to do now?"

I shake my phone at him, "I'm checking nearby hotels."

"Forgive me for being frank," he shrugs, "Tomorrow is the main race, and it's late. I'm afraid you'll have trouble finding a vacant room."

He's right.

When my phone finally refreshes, all the hotel pictures show as grayed out, indicating they're fully booked.

"Well, my room is a suite," he offers vaguely.

While he's speaking, he glances seemingly casually down the corridor behind me.

But I didn't notice at all. I widen my eyes and my voice becomes nervous, "I'm sorry, I—"

"No, no," Theodore waves his hand at me, "I mean, my assistant is a male and stays in a single room downstairs; if you're willing, you can stay in his room, and he comes upstairs to stay with me."

That seems to be the only solution.

"Thank you," I say.

At eleven o'clock that night, I finally lie down on the bed, and the next morning, I immediately get up and make breakfast for Arthur.

Summer mornings are always bright early, and Arthur likes to sleep in, so he doesn't have time to have breakfast at the hotel; therefore, I wait for him downstairs in the hotel with a meal box.

When he steps out of the elevator, I step forward, calling out lightly, "Mr. Arthur, I..."

Before I can finish, he strides past me as if he hasn't seen me, and gets into the car.

I open my mouth, eventually jogging to catch up with him and getting into the car from the other side.

After that, we enter the lounge at the racetrack.

I hold out the meal box to Arthur, but he coldly refuses to take it.

I extend the lunch box again, and Arthur frowns, pushing my hand away.

The meal box's lid isn't tightly closed, causing the whole wheat porridge inside to directly spill onto the ground with the sound of the thermos hitting the ground.

Then there is a sudden silence.

I stand there stunned, not knowing what to do.

At this moment, Theodore's gentle voice suddenly comes from the doorway, "What's in the bottom layer? May I try some?"

The meal box has two layers, and the second layer is still intact.

Theodore's smile is genuine, and his gaze towards me is warm, "The breakfast you made for me was delicious, but I didn't eat enough."

I don't know how to respond.

I did make him breakfast too, to thank him for helping me find a place to sleep last night; but I had already handed the meal box to his assistant at the hotel this morning.

Why does he mention it in front of Arthur?

My thoughts are in disarray until a muffled sound brings me back.

Something has hit the lounge's door.

I glance toward the sound and see Arthur kicking the lunch box directly.

It rolls on the ground for a couple of rounds, then I hear Arthur softly say, "You're fired, Rose."