Chapter 27 Arthur

Arthur POV.

I return home, and the butler helps me take off my coat. He notices my hand is bleeding and hastily bandages it.

Then, I walk into the bedroom and silently watch Clara by the bed. Clara is sleeping on her side with her face partially hidden in the shadows of the room's dimly lit bedside lamp.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I think to myself. "Why didn't you tell me that my father approached you, offered you money, but you refused because of me?"

I clench my fist.

It's all my fault, really. I was angry with myself for not being able to determine my own destiny, and I unconsciously projected that anger onto Clara, resisting her explanations. Later, when I tried to communicate with her, she looked at me like a mouse seeing a cat, anything was too late.

I reach out and gently touch Clara's eye corner, then glide over her sickly pale face, reaching her slightly cracked lips.

I can't resist anymore and lean in to kiss her.

Clara wakes up, staring blankly without speaking or moving.

I stop and calm my breathing, tucking her hand under the blanket.

There are obvious scars on her wrist, from two suicide attempts.

I hold her wrist, lost in the sound of ambulance sirens and the chaotic footsteps of the hospital. When I snap out of it, Clara's fingers are slightly curled, as if she wants to touch my freshly bandaged hand.

Is this an illusion?

I stare at her hand without blinking, then suddenly look up and softly call her name.

But Clara doesn't respond.

I lift her chin, her gaze still vacant, devoid of any emotion.

The next day is the weekend, and my father has arranged a date for me through my stepmother.

I ask my stepmother for the contact information of Elisabeth, and then I text her to say I'm busy and can't meet her.

Elisabeth is easygoing; she says it's okay, we can meet some other time.

I thought "some other time" for adults meant never seeing each other again, but this girl obviously doesn't think so.

On Monday morning, I go to the company to attend a meeting. As soon as it ends, my secretary calls on the intercom, saying Miss Elisabeth is waiting for me in the reception area.

I walk to the reception area, enduring countless curious glances along the way, and then I see a petite figure in Chanel suit.

She's having coffee, and when she sees me, she stands up and smiles, "Mr. Arthur..."

"Why are you here?" I'm impatient.

She bites her lip, seeming a bit stubborn, "I passed by your company and wanted to see you."

But her eyes are already watery.

There are still countless curious glances outside the reception area, and I feel a bit embarrassed, as if I'm bullying a girl.

So I close the door.

"Miss Elizabeth, maybe my previous statement was not clear enough. My family has unilaterally decided to arrange a blind date for me with you, but I have no such intention."

I'm not sure she understood what I said.

"I...I watched your car race," Elizabeth changes the subject strangely, and takes out an autographed photo from her limited edition bag, "I asked you for your autograph at the car show two years ago."

That was nearly a century ago.

It felt strange to be brought up by a stranger about a long-forgotten past.

It feels strange to have a stranger bring up a long-forgotten past.

So it's hard for me to be angry with her anymore, "Miss Elisabeth, what do you want to see me for today?"

"I... I just want to see my former idol today. I've liked you since I was eighteen."

"How old are you now?"

"21."

I smile, "Now that you've seen me too, from a race car driver to a vulgar businessman. Where do you live? I'll have the driver take you back."

"No need." She says, "My driver is waiting downstairs. Thank you for meeting me today."

"You're welcome."

I say goodbye politely.

She picks up her bag and leaves, glancing at me a few more times before leaving.

"Do you have anything else?" I ask.

Her face suddenly blushes, "You... you actually... look as handsome as before."

"Thank you."

Suddenly, I remember, the last time Clara praised me, she said the same thing. I had lost a race and felt depressed.

She said at least I looked handsome.

I glance at my watch; it's almost noon. I need to be home by one to feed her lunch.

On the way home, I call Emma and tell her that Clara seems to be showing signs of waking up.

Emma isn't surprised. She says with Clara taking medication for so long and with me taking care of her every day, it is inevitable that her condition will improve.

Emma also suggests, why not find Clara's only remaining relative in this world—her ex-husband's sister, Giulia.

I fall silent.

Because I've met Giulia once.

After rescuing Clara from four men, I went to the hospital where Giulia was. She had already undergone a successful operation and was sunbathing in the garden. I gave her a bank card with the follow-up treatment costs and her future living expenses.

I remember her first question upon seeing the bank card was to ask me tentatively if I was Clara's friend.

My face was as dark as a rainy day at that time, and I just answered, "Yes, we're good friends."

Then she picked up the bank card, smiling, "Then I can rest assured."

She thanked me for my generosity.

She didn't even ask why Clara had lost contact with her for those days, not calling or texting her.

So I repeated her words in a low voice, "Then you can rest assured."

Giulia nodded, "Yes, she can make friends like you, I'm happy."

Her smile was hypocritical and fragile.

I think that's the kind of fake smile she uses to get Clara to save her.

She didn't even ask how a young, poor girl from the countryside could be friends with a wealthy man, or how much Clara paid to afford her surgery.

She said, "I just want to live, and Clara is willing to help me."

She also said, "She loves my brother very much, and I look like him. She saved me to make up for the regret of my brother's death. Of course I must fulfill her wish."

I didn't know if I was more ridiculous or if Clara.

Then I threw the card at her and told her never to contact Clara again.

She promised and disappeared completely.

So I don't know how long it will take to find her now.