Chapter 11 Clara

Clara POV.

I walk out of the bathroom, looking at the weather outside the glass window, it's incredibly gloomy.

After returning to New York, Arthur continues training with the team, and I revolve around him every day, also starting to spend nights at his place.

I always think about Lily, wondering if perhaps he's been too busy preparing for the F1 lately and forgot to give me money.

But I can't just come out and directly ask him about it without any preamble, can I?

I'm conflicted, so I go to Starbucks outside to buy the sugar-free coffee Arthur wants, then go find him.

But he's not on the racetrack.

When I ask the nearby mechanic, he replies that Mateo had called Arthur away.

I nod, thank the mechanic, then turn into the corridor, finding Mateo's office with the door not completely shut.

Their voices are heard from the office.

"What's going on between you and Rose? You let her move into your house?" Mateo's voice is serious.

Arthur's tone is lazy, instead, "Just for convenience. She is supposed to get up the next morning and cook for me anyway."

"You know what I mean, I didn't see you letting Lily stay overnight when you were with her."

Arthur's patience begins to wear thin, "Come on, I've said it already. I let her stay overnight for her convenience the next morning! And I always use condoms, she won't get pregnant, so you don't have to worry about me bringing other women home and causing more scandals. Isn't that great?"

There's a moment of silence indoors.

Then Mateo's voice resumes, "So you have no feelings for her? I feel like she's not that simple of a woman."

Arthur chuckles lightly.

"Mateo, what's the matter with you? Just a woman for my desires, is it worth your concern? Or do you think it's more appropriate for me to bring women home by myself like before?"

The room falls silent again.

The coffee is a bit hot, and as I switch hands to hold the cup, my arm accidentally brushes against the doorknob.

"Who's there?" Mateo asks sharply.

I pause for a moment, then gently push the door open, "I saw you guys talking, so I didn't come in."

Arthur sees me, first surprised, then frowns, "How long have you been at the door?"

"I...I just got here, I didn't hear anything, hahaha, there were so many people buying coffee, I waited in line for a long time." I dryly laugh twice.

Arthur doesn't say anything more. He walks over, takes the coffee as he passes by me, and then heads towards the racetrack.

Throughout the afternoon, for some reason, he's not in a good mood. His speed around the corners is much slower than usual, so his expression doesn't look good either.

On the way back home, with him sitting in the passenger seat, his expression still isn't good.

I'm very worried about this: now that he's in a bad mood, I can't bring up asking him for money. So I grip the steering wheel tightly with both hands, eyes straight ahead, but my teeth involuntarily bite the inside of my cheek.

I do this out of habit when I feel stressed.

And Arthur's gaze sweeps over me three times, breaking the silence in the car: "Say what you want to say!"

I'm startled, purse my lips, and then say, "I don't have anything to say."

The car falls silent again until we reach the underground garage of the villa.

Arthur unbuckles his seatbelt without looking at me, "Say what you want to say. Who are you showing that face to? I ... delibarately said those words to Mateo today... you eavesdropped."

Then he immediately opens the door and gets out of the car.

I pause, not understanding why he's suddenly being difficult. But I've gotten used to it; Arthur is always like this, inexplicably sulking and then inexplicably fine.

During the next race, Arthur regains his form and defeats Theodore, scoring 25 points and becoming the champion of the 18th race of this year's F1 event.

His fans in the stands are very excited, continuously calling Arthur's name, celebrating his return to the top of the scoreboard.

So far, only one race remains, and the focus is on Arthur and Theodore because they are ranked first and second respectively, with a gap of only 3 points.

But the audience doesn't know that this race was even harder for Arthur to win than usual because he's competing with a cold due to the change of seasons.

After the race, I immediately scoop a spoonful of cold medicine in the lounge and bring it to his lips.

Arthur frowns after sniffing it and turns his head, I bring the spoon back to his lips, "Drink it, your will recover faster."

He takes a tissue to blow his nose, his voice sounds stuffy when he speaks, from a lion to a sick cat, "It's too smelly, and you told me it was sweet yesterday, why do you lie to me?"

"I didn't lie to you, it's somewhat sweet. If you don't believe me, try it again?"

"Do you think I'm a three-year-old kid!?" Arthur says loudly.

Similarly in the lounge, and after observing us for a while, Mateo, looks at him, then at me, and then gets up to leave.

As he passes by, I faintly hear Mateo chuckle, "Spoiled brat, when you were with Lily, I didn't see you acting like this."

The voice is very faint, I almost thought I was hallucinating. When I turn to look at Mateo, he's already gone, closing the door to the lounge.