Chapter 34 Arthur

Arthur POV.

Everything feels like a nightmare.

Blood stains cover half of my body as I stand outside the operating room, staring at the cold metal door.

My hands tremble uncontrollably; everything that happened today is far beyond my anticipation.

Two and a half hours have passed, and the lights in the operating room are still on.

James is beside me, keeping me company, while his wife calls from Europe, shouting, "Is Clara okay? How did she suddenly go into premature labor?!"

"What have you done to her!?"

I can't even utter a word, just stare silently at the metal door.

Finally, the doctor pushes open the door of the operating room.

My feet are numb as I limp quickly forward.

When I hear a baby crying in the room, the medical staff is carrying out Clara's child with a small blanket.

"Where's Clara?" I ask.

The doctor looks tired. "The operation was successful; her life is temporarily saved, but we need to observe her condition further."

"How can it be temporary?" I ask.

James quickly pats my shoulder and says, "It's normal, don't panic. Go and hold the baby first."

I pause for two seconds, then take the baby.

It's a boy.

His face is wrinkled, very red, like a mouse.

Clara won't like him.

Clara stayed in the intensive care unit for three days and then was transferred to the general ward on the fourth day. She lost consciousness due to excessive bleeding during the surgery.

I haven't slept for four whole days and finally fall asleep next to her bed. But my sleep is light, and I immediately wake up to the rustling of sheets and find Clara is already awake.

She's as thin as a skeleton, shifting her body slightly, and then frowns.

The wound on her abdomen hurts.

"Clara, how are you feeling now?" I ask, leaning closer. "Is there anything else uncomfortable? Can you hear me?"

Clara's eyes move and fall on me.

She opens her mouth, but her voice is too weak.

I lean closer and place my ear next to her mouth.

"Didn't you promise me that if I had difficulty during childbirth, you wouldn't save me?"

It's afternoon now. I open the curtains to let sunlight shine into the room, then turn back to her, speaking in a natural tone, "You didn't have difficulty; everything went smoothly."

Then I bend down and ask Clara softly, "Do you want to see our baby?" The Pregnancy Encyclopedia taught me how to hold a baby, so my posture is skilled. I pick him up from the cradle, and he curls up in my arms, sleeping soundly.

The room is filled with a warm family atmosphere.

But to my surprise, Clara's gaze doesn't even shift to my embrace.

I can only glance down at the baby, then raise my head to speak to Clara, "Although he doesn't look very attractive now, they say newborns are like this, wrinkled like little old men, but... but he'll grow to be handsome later, right?"