Chapter 14 Clara

Clara POV.

I got married, when I was twenty. But my husband died of illness just six months later.

I look into Giulia's eyes and through them, it's like seeing Henry again. Giulia's eyes are similar to her brother's, gray-green, like gentle lakes in autumn.

Now my days are difficult, but I never regret marrying Henry. I just feel that since I promised to take care of his sister before he passed away, I must fulfill that promise. Because Henry will be watching over us from heaven.

I swallow and pretend not to hear Giulia's question, then I turn and take out a lunch box from my bag, open it, and place it on the small table in front of her: "Are you hungry? I made some dishes you like."

Giulia starts quietly crying, tears falling into the food.

"Clara, the surgery costs are really expensive, I don't want to burden you anymore."

I pick up a tissue from the bedside table and wipe her face, "You are a child, don't worry about adult matters."

"I'm already an adult."

"That's not accurate," I shrug, speaking lightly, "You're still one month and three days away from 18."

Giulia's tears keep flowing, then suddenly she smiles.

"Okay, I should go now. Take care of yourself." I get up, wave, and leave the ward.

Giulia's ward is on the eighteenth floor, as I head towards the elevator, I suddenly see someone. Lucas.

I still vividly remember him publicly disciplining women on stage, so I instinctively want to avoid him; I hurriedly press the elevator button, hoping the doors will open soon.

But unfortunately, Lucas also sees me and before the elevator stops on the eighteenth floor, he comes to my side.

I exchange a few words with him, thinking I'm finally free, but the worst is yet to come.

Just as I finally reach the hospital entrance, four men in suits suddenly stop me.

"Are you Miss Clara Maverick?" one of them asks.

"Um, you've got the wrong person." They must be debt collectors. I try to go around them, but the next moment, I'm grabbed by the collar and shoved into a luxury car.

I'm uneasy in the car, asking who they are and where they're taking me; they only reply, "You'll find out soon."

The car drives from the city to the suburbs, then enters a wooded area. The woods are quiet, I almost think I'm going to be disposed of, but ultimately, an exceptionally luxurious villa comes into view.

The ornate wrought-iron gate of the villa opens automatically, the car drives in, and stops in the garden; then, the two men in suits from the backseat each take one of my arms, escorting me out of the car, and all the way to a meditation room on the villa's second floor.

There's a huge Buddha statue in the room, in front of which sits a man in his forties, sipping tea at a wooden table.

He sees me, waves, and the two men behind me release me, gently close the door, and leave.

"I'm Arthur's father." Before I can question, the man voluntarily reveals his identity, pauses, then says, "Miss Clara, hello."

I freeze.

"Please take a seat." He gestures to another empty chair opposite him, then pours a cup of tea and places it in front of me.

Is this the rumored CEO of the Taylor Group? The helm of that commercial empire?