07 Clara

Clara POV.

The next day I continue to come to the villa to cook for him. Arthur is playing games in the living room.

As I walk into the dining room carrying food, I happen to see Arthur sitting cross-legged on the floor, with the blood-red words "GAME OVER" displayed on the large screen of the TV opposite.

"The meal's ready," I say.

He angrily exits the game, and tosses the controller aside.

"What kind of soup is this? It tastes so weird," he in a bad mood after losing the game, and starts to be picky.

"Today is the grape festival..." I say softly, "I thought you liked grapes..."

"So you put grapes in it? Are you insane?"

"No, no, it's grape leaves," my voice gets lower, "If you don't like the taste, I can remake it now..."

The TV is still on, and it happens to be broadcasting news about the Grape Festival, and the atmosphere is lively.

Yet, there's a strange quietness in the villa.

"Forget it," Arthur coughs lightly, "I forgive you today."

He finishes the bowl of soup, raises it high, and orders me, "Another one."

After dinner, he continues playing games while I clean up the kitchen.

When I see "Game Over," I just want to stay away, so I carefully walk to the door, ready to go home.

But suddenly Arthur calls out to me, "Are these all the pants you have? Mateo never paid you?"

I look down at my already washed-out jeans, saying nothing.

"Go get some wardrobe allowance from Mateo," he pauses, "Don't make it seem like we're abusing you."

"Thanks!" I smile. This money should also be enough to buy a thick quilt.

Arthur impatiently waves his hand.

After returning to my rundown house, my phone vibrates.

It's a message from Arthur reminding me not to forget to cook for him tomorrow.

In mid-August, a car brand holds a car show and invites Arthur to participate in the offline event.

I go with him and happen to see his arch-rival, Theodore, at the venue.

So Arthur's mood throughout the event is as if someone owes him millions. Whenever photographers ask him to smile, the corners of his mouth will turn down even more.

But he is handsome, and his numerous female fans still scream at how cool Arthur is and ask for his autograph.

I return to the lounge to wait for him.

When the door creaks open, I look up, expecting to see Arthur, but instead, it is Theodore.

Theodore has been traveling during this time, which I stambled upon on Instagram.

But I can't believe he comes all the way just to greet me, a mere assistant. So I simply say, "Arthur hasn't returned yet."

Theodore smiles, "I'm not here to see him, Rose. I'm here for you."

"Me?"

Theodore's smile deepens, "I really like the food you cook. Why don't you come work for me as an assistant, Rose?"

I feel a bit bewildered.

My intuition tells me something is off about Theodore; with his status, he could easily find another assistant who could cook. Why me?

Theodore looks at me and adds, "I genuinely want you to work for me. I'm not as troublesome as Arthur, and I can offer you a higher salary."

A higher salary???

So I ask, "How much?"

Theodore is about to answer when the door behind him is pushed open.

"Why are you here!?" Arthur's grim face suddenly appears.

Despite Arthur's treatment, Theodore doesn't seem offended. Without saying a word, he turns and leaves.

But the force he uses to close the door is quite strong.

And the next moment, Arthur loosens his tie and walks towards me. "Did he come here specifically to see you? I didn't know you two were so close!"

I shake my head, "No, no. I don't know why he suddenly came in."

"Why did you leave with him right away when he asked you in Belgium?"

"But that time... you didn't let me sleep on your suite's sofa..."

"Wasn't that because you wanted to sleep with me??"

My face suddenly flushes.

And Arthur is completely absorbed in his accusations: "You even made breakfast for him, I think your job is not busy enough!"

"Why did he specifically come to greet you?"

"He even lowered his voice and called you Rose, don't you find it disgusting??? Or do you actually like him calling you that?"

He's pacing back and forth in the lounge now, like a volcano about to erupt.

So I have to agree with him: "...Disgusting, absolutely disgusting."