Chapter 10 Clara

Clara POV.

Due to the floods in northern Italy, the Imola Grand Prix is postponed. Arthur suddenly has an unexpected holiday, so he decides to take me to Hawaii.

Hawaii is full of sunshine and beaches. Arthur is overflowing with energy, surfing the sea like a husky. I instead kept awake because of Arthur all last night in the hotel bed, now I'm holding a coconut with a straw now, sitting on a beach chair, drowsy.

A shadow suddenly looms over me. I open my eyes and see Arthur has returned. He bends down in front of me, holding the used straw in his mouth, gulping down coconut juice.

As evening approaches, the sky turns pink. His focus on the coconut lets me see his wet hair and long, thick eyelashes.

Actually, if Arthur didn't sulk every day, he would be handsome. He's the kind of good-looking person who hit the genetic lottery.

Just as I silently contemplate, he suddenly looks up. "Have you been sleeping all this time?" he frowns. "Did you even see my awesome performance on the sea?"

I retract my contemplation.

After the flood, we fly back to Italy.

But this time, Arthur didn't win.

In the 40th lap of the race, Arthur's car slowed down, and Theodore behind him tried to overtake. Arthur was on the outside of the track, and the next turn was a right turn, so as long as he drove normally, Theodore couldn't easily overtake him.

But for some reason, Arthur steered his car toward the inside line, allowing Theodore to pass. Arthur's car then leaned left and collided with Theodore's. Arthur's front wing was damaged, and he stopped in a gravel pile. With the help of the staff, Arthur managed to re-enter the race. His archrival won the race, and he finished seventh. He only got 8 points in this race, while Theodore got 25.

Now the standings have changed; Arthur dropped to second, and Theodore rose to first.

I'm worried Arthur would smash things in the lounge, but he just drops his racing suit, silently returns to the hotel, and locks himself in his room.

I have his room key. When I push open the door, I see him sitting cross-legged on the carpet, leaning against the sofa, in front of a huge screen showing sports news. The room is dark, with only the bright screen occupying most of the wall, and the sound is low.

Arthur looks fragile at the moment. He leans back on the sofa, his hair covering half of his pale face, his perfect jawline unchanged despite the desolate expression.

In all the silence, Arthur suddenly asks, "Am I really that bad?"

My eyes return to the screen, which is reporting Arthur's defeat in the race and his desolate expression upon learning he finished seventh.

Facing Arthur like this makes me unsure. He's never been one to be comforted; he's always been irritable, indifferent, and strong.

I remain silent for a long time, silent until the host starts broadcasting the latest news, and suddenly, I think of comforting words.

"You look good on TV," I say.

Arthur looks at me in the darkness, and after a long time, he suddenly smiles. He takes a deep breath, pulls me over, and presses me down.

I struggle, "Don't... Mateo is very worried about you, and he's waiting for me to call him."

After all, this is the first time Arthur has received such a bad ranking this year.

But he presses my legs with one of his legs and undresses me, saying, "Forget about him!"

This night is long ,and the next day we fly straight back to New York.

Unexpectedly, I see Lily in the airport bathroom as soon as I enter.

She comes to Italy to shoot a magazine, and when she sees me, she hesitates and asks if the rumors are true.

I nod.

She looks shocked, "Did you really sleep with him???"

I nod again, smiling, "Actually, I should thank you for your guidance..."

"What guidance did I give you?"

"That 800,000..." I say softly.

"What are you saying? Speak louder, I can't hear you."

"800,000..."

I repeat, pause, and then muster the courage to ask her a question, "But...Why hasn't he paid me yet?"

Lily's eyes widen.

"Are you asking why you slept with Arthur, but he didn't pay you?" Her voice is shocked, and a bit loud, so I look around embarrassedly and nod, "Yeah, I remember he paid you..."

I know I'm just average-looking, not expecting to get as much as Lily, but there should be something more or less, right?

Lily doesn't speak anymore. Her eyes become strange, then she looks at her phone, says her agent is urging her outside, and leaves hastily.