Chapter 22 Arthur

Arthur POV.

I just wanted her to take the injection quietly, but I didn't expect that she actually took it seriously.

She lost her fever that night, but she remained in bed for the next three days, silent.

She also has a bad appetite, which I initially thought is because she was just recovering, so I asked the butler to find another chef to cook her favorite dish.

But on the fourth day, while I'm at work, the butler calls to say that Clara has finally gone out. The garden pond is now enclosed by a high fence. Clara stood by the fence, stunned for a minute, then started walking around the pond.

She was looking for the white koi carp. But the weather is getting colder, with daytime temperatures below freezing and a thick layer of ice forming on the surface of the pond.

The butler called her back inside, saying the fish were under the ice and she would see them next spring. But Clara didn't believe him. She stared at the butler for a long time and said that I must have chopped up the fish.

The butler said no and explained patiently. But Clara just looked at him silently for a moment, then turned and walked back to the bedroom, curling up under the blanket.

I'm looking at financial reports, and after listening to the butler's account, I fall silent for a moment, telling him I will come home early tonight. After hanging up the phone, I think for a moment and then call James.

As soon as James answers, he says, "What's up? You're not calling me about that girl again, are you?"

I am silent for a few seconds, then say, "When will your wife return to the US?"

I remember his wife graduated from the same medical school as him, specializing in psychiatry, and recently seemed to be on exchange in Europe.

"Tomorrow, damn, you won't have any thoughts about my wife, right? No matter how good our relationship is, you can't do this..."

"Call me when she comes back. Bye." I'm not in the mood to joke with him, and feel irritated. I throw the phone on the table, walk to the floor-to-ceiling window of the office, and fall into deep thought.

I clearly hate Clara, she lied to me, played with my emotions, and I have thought of a hundred ways to torture her. But now seeing her like this, I feel an indescribable discomfort in my heart. It's like I've drawn a strange circle for myself and then trapped myself in it.

2 hours later, I get home, and ask the butler to knock on her door and tell her downstairs for dinner. The door remains closed.

So I go upstairs, knock on her door, but she still doesn't open it.

I lose my patience and say, "It's just freezing outside, the fish is still alive! What's the big deal? What are you getting into?! I'll count down to three, open the door!"

"one... two..."

She is well behaved now and my threats are effective on her.

But today, the door remains closed.

I finally realize something is wrong, kick the door open, and see her lying on the bed with her back to the door.

I rush over, pull back the quilt, and see a sharp stone in her hand, probably she found it in the rockery by the pond.

Her left wrist is injured, the bedsheet is soaked with blood, and there are many bloodstains on the blanket. I quickly grab the stone from her hand, throw it away, and while instructing the housekeeper to call an ambulance, I press the sheet tightly on the wound on Clara's wrist.

She has almost fallen into a coma and has no reaction when she sees me. She just stares at the ceiling with tired eyes, as if she will fall asleep at any time.