Chapter 40 Kyle

Kyle POV.

Clara gently pats my back to coax me, and then I cry myself to sleep.

The next day, dad comes to pick me up.

I pick up all my toys again, stuff them back into the sack, and drag it outside.

Clara stands behind me, and doesn't say anything like "stay here". So I push her hand away when she tries to help me.

I leave the house angrily, get into the car, and roll the window down a bit.

Clara then walks up to me and asks, "Will you come next week... nor not?"

I'm feeling a bit happier now.

But I want Clara to continue coax me, so I say, "If you want me to come, I'll come."

It starts raining on the way back to New York, raindrops patter against the window.

I look at Leo, who's driving, and ask about my dad.

Normally, he would come over in person just to see Clara one more time.

"He has a fever," Leo says, glancing at me through the rearview mirror.

As soon as I get out of the car, I rush inside with the sack and run upstairs to his room.

I see him lying on the bed. He's asleep, but he looks exhausted, with dark circles under his eyes.

It's still raining outside, and I feel dad is a bit poor.

He's also a bit unfortunate because I was supposed to show him something today.

I empty the sack and pour out all the toys.

Disturbed by the noise, dad opens his eyes weakly and says, "Kyle..."

I continue pouring out toys, searching among them.

"Don't push me to spank you..." he says again.

I found it.

I pick up an old magazine, almost older than me. It has been staying in the sack with the toys, now even more wrinkled. But I can still see dad's face on the cover. He's wearing a racing suit, much younger than he is now.

This morning, when I was tidying up the toys, my ball rolled under the bed.

I didn't want Clara's help, so I crawled under the bed myself to get the ball, and then I saw the magazine there.

I wonder why there's a magazine with my dad's face under the bed if Clara dislikes him so much.

But I was still angry with her. So, I secretly put the magazine in the sack and brought it back with me.

"Kyle!" My dad is sitting up now, he throws back the blanket and angrily walks towards me.

I sit on the floor and look up at him. His eyes fall on the magazine, and his chest begins to rise and fall violently.

"Clara has been hiding you under the bed," I say.

He licks his chapped lips and then abruptly turns around, and rush out barefoot.

Leo is off today and has already left.

Later, I heard that my dad drove alone to find Clara. But he's useless, he fainted just outside Clara's house, and Clara ended up driving him back.

Now, grandfather is in charge of the family again.

He appears in front of Clara with a cane, and I immediately stand in front of her.

But the butler takes me away. I run back and peek through the crack in the door to watch them.

My grandfather's expression is very strange, and his voice is also strange.

"Are you happy now?"

"You dedicated yourself to your ex-husband, to your ex-husband's sister; you wanted nothing, and you blamed nothing."

"You only want things from my son, money, freedom, and dignity."

Clara opens her mouth, but remains silent.

"You made it. One of you was supposed to be beaten to death by debt collectors,and the other died in the hospital; but then, her medical expenses, tuition fees, their tall house; and that pond full of koi..."

"Now he exposes all his weaknesses to you, and put the knife in your hands; are you happy?"

"You said he didn't spare you, but you never spared him either, did you?"

"You were caught once at Huston Valley, but you still came back to live. Why?You could've gone somewhere farther."

...

Grandpa does most of the talking while Clara stares at the carpet, silent.

"I still dislike you, Clara. But Arthur wants you, Kyle wants you, so come back, please. "

This is grandpa's last sentence.

Revenge Or Love ✔On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara