Chapter 35 Arthur

Arthur POV.

It isn't just my father who shows up in the hospital.

The next day, in the hospital garden, I see a familiar figure— Elisabeth.

She spots me, her eyes are moist. "She... gave birth to your child?"

I nod expressionlessly, "Yes."

The corners of Elizabeth's mouth curve downward, as if she is about to cry, "But didn't she refuse to be with you?"

I'm not patient with her, but she's not entirely unlikable, so I start weaving a story, "She loves me very much now, and the three of us are happy together."

Elisabeth's face is pale, she cries a bit, her cheeks turning red, "She lied to me..."

I lower my head, looking at this girl crying in the wind, suddenly feeling grateful that Clara gave birth to a boy. If it were a girl as innocent as Elisabeth, I would be too worried to close my eyes the day I entered the grave.

I raise an eyebrow, "Did you bring gifts for my wife and son?"

Elisabeth continues crying, the wind gusts into her mouth, and then she burps, "Huh?"

"You are here to visit a patient, and you didn't bring gifts? you'd better go home first." I walk to the hospital entrance, hail a taxi, stuff her into the back seat, and give the driver her home address.

"You're all lying to me!" She's still crying, her tone fierce.

I sigh, "It's chilly outside, go home and cry there."

In the ward, Clara hardly speaks anymore. Every morning, she opens her eyes and stares at the white ceiling, maintaining the same posture for a long time.

I have to hold the child and talk to her.

"The doctor says your wound is healing well, you can be discharged next week."

"I expanded the pond at home again, and I've raised a new variety of koi bred in Germany, purple-red. You can take a look when you get back."

"I have about ten days off next month, let's go on a trip. Since you don't like the child, we'll leave him at home with the nanny, okay?"

I start trying to be a less irritable boyfriend and a somewhat responsible father.

But today, Clara seems a bit different.

I walk from the garden into the building, then take the elevator to the ward. When I push open the door, I see Clara holding the child.

It's the first time she's been close to him.

She's too thin, her hands covered in bruises from needle marks, and the small child looks big in her arms.

"Did Elisabeth just come?" she asks me, looking up.

"Did you see her from the window?" I stand at the door and say, "She heard you had the baby and came to see you, but I didn't let her in. I made her leave immediately..."

"I'm not angry, you don't need to explain."

The door is ajar, she glances at the guard outside, "Are you afraid I'll do something stupid?"

I swallow.

"No, I won't, I won't commit suicide. We have a child now. If I die, what will happen to this child? Elisabeth is a good girl, but if I die and you two get married, who can guarantee she'll treat him well?"

"No, no, I only want you. Clara, I only want you," I say quickly.

She smiles and looks down at the child in her arms, "Does he have a name?"