Chapter 36 Kyle

Kyle POV.

I look up at her through tears, but she silently moves behind me, looks around at the door, then closes it and slides the latch into place.

But I'm a strong child.

I wipe away my tears and begin to survey my territory. I put my small backpack on the stool, declare my name to her, and quietly wait for her to come over to hug and kiss me.

But she stands opposite me and replies, "I am Clara."

I am dissatisfied, so I take a couple of steps inside the room and say, "Clara, your place is really shabby."

But Clara isn't angry. She remains silent for a moment, then asks, "Where's your dad? How come you're here now?"

"I ran away," I say, then answer Clara's first question, "Who knows where my dad is; I haven't seen him in a long long time. "

I'm telling the truth. He's always on business trips, flying around the world. I've been staying at my grandpa's for one week.

"He-" Clara's voice lowers a bit, "He often neglects you?"

At this moment, my attention is drawn to the glass bottles on the bedside table, filled with colorful capsules.

"What are these?" I ask.

"Medicine."

"Are you sick?"

"These are happy pills."

"Really? Can I take one?"

"No. It's for adults.Children will die if they take it."

I want to ask more, but she picks me up and places me on the stool, then removes my clothes and shoes.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

"I'll give you a shower and put you to bed," she says as she carries me into the cramped bathroom, turns on the shower to test the water temperature, "It's so late."

After the shower, I'm dried off and carried to bed.

I lie on the inner side of the bed, with Clara on the outer side. The bed is narrow, but Clara is thin, so we fit just right.

Clara quickly closes her eyes, but I, in a new environment, can't sleep at all.

The moonlight gently comes in through the window, everything indoors turns silver.

I suddenly remember something.

I sit up, then slowly reach out and lift Clara's loose shirt, revealing a scar on her belly in the moonlight.

I cover my mouth. It's real!

I pull her shirt back down to cover her belly and then lie back down.

I'm a bit excited and a bit uneasy. I lean towards her body and whisper, "Mom."

The next day is Sunday, and I spend the whole day playing outside, chasing the big black dog at the village entrance with a group of kids. My shoes are covered in mud, but I don't mind at all now; I happily run back home, sweating all over.

It's only before bedtime that I remember something important.

I open my little backpack, take out a fairy tale book, and then stuff it into Clara's hands, saying, "Read me a story!"

Clara looks at the book in her hands, then nods to me.

She reads a few sentences, but I'm not very satisfied. I pull Clara's arm and snuggle into her arms.

By the time Clara finishes one story, I'm already sleepy, but I try to keep my eyes open and say, "Clara, I want to hear a lullaby."

Clara says, "I don't know how to sing."

"But everyone else has heard it, my classmate said his mom..." I suddenly pause.

I remember Clara doesn't want to be my mom. When I first arrived, she kept me outside the door.

So I turn around to face the wall, and stop looking at her.

Clara pats me from behind and says, "Maybe my singing isn't very good."

After a long time, she softly sings "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" to me.

The next morning, Clara takes me by the hand to walk me back to school.

I haven't had enough fun yet, but Clara says, "It's Monday, you have to go to school. You've already missed half a day of classes."

"Okay. Then I'll come back on the weekend," I wrinkle my nose.

Clara lowers her head and doesn't look at me.

She takes me on the train back to New York and drops me off at the kindergarten I mentioned, like many parents, she watches me enter the school gate, then turns around and leaves.

I walk into the classroom, and the classmate I beat once is drinking milk. I poke him with my elbow, "Did you see the woman with me today? She's my mom."

I puff up my chest, "I told you I have a mom."

In the afternoon when school is over, the butler still comes to pick me up.

He watched me walk into Clara's house on Saturday night and waited for all the lights to go out before he took the last train back to New York.

"Was my grandpa angry?" I suddenly remember to ask the butler. My grandpa really dislikes Clara.

"He was," the butler says, holding my hand, "He even fired me."

I stop, suddenly nervous. If the butler leaves, who will play soccer with me?

The butler smiles, "But Mr. Arthur let me come back."

I breathe a sigh of relief.

We return home, and grandpa and dad are in the living room.

They seem to have had an argument; both of their faces look unpleasant.

The butler takes me back to my bedroom, but I crack open the door and eavesdrop.

"Nonsense!" that's my grandpa's voice. "I won't allow Kyle to secretly go see her again!"

Then it's my dad's voice, "Do you think you're still in charge of this family?"

Footsteps gradually echo in the corridor, and I quickly close the door, sitting at my desk pretending to do homework.

My dad pushes open the door and walks in, asking me, "What did you do over the weekend?"

I put down my pen and turn to look at him, "I played with a dog."

"Anything else?" He's silent for a few seconds, then looks elsewhere and asks, "Is she... nice to you?"

"You mean Clara? She gave me a shower, read me stories. Oh, she also cooked for me."

When I secretly followed Clara on Saturday, she only bought vegetables; but there were not only vegetables but also meat and fish on Sunday's dining table.

They were all yammy.

My dad's eyes light up after hearing my words. He paces around my room for a few circles and then suddenly looks up, "I will give you a suspension of study now."