Chapter 7 - Conflicting Personalities

Saturday – March 28th 2020

Watching the leaping salt water was hard on my psyche...something about it made me very sad. The kind of deep sadness you feel for something that has left a deep wound upon your soul. The only problem...I could not remember what it was.

"I know what will cheer me up!" I say to the saltwater, below "A delicious well-done sirloin! Candied carrots, corn on the cob, and a toss green salad!" I walked to the head of the boat, the wind whipping through my blonde hair as I looked towards the tight passage ahead. The passage that leads to Bremerton, my home.

With the ferry docked, I stepped off and walked eagerly down the block to a grocery store as I grabbed a cart. I make a B-line to the meat department as I selected the largest piece of juicy steak and a packet of turkey breast, and a cooked rotisserie chicken that smelled so intoxicating!

I gather a packet of carrots and corn on the cob, my mouth salivating already!

"Aww...this won't be ready by dinnertime!" I put the corn back and grabbed a head of lettuce, red bell pepper, cucumber, and radish for my salad; along with a bottle of ranch dressing. I purchased brown sugar for the carrots, and Italian dressing for the steak.

"Dad always marinated the steak in Italian!"

I stopped at the soda shelf and looked at all the options and selected lemon-lime and headed to the checkout stand as I waited for the food to be bagged up. I swiped my card and selected my bags as I smiled at the clerk.

"Have a wonderful evening, sir!"

"You too, ma'am." says the young clerk, smirking.

"Would you like a hand with one of those bags, young lady?" the young male bagger asked as I smiled.

"No thank you...but I truly appreciate the kind gesture!"

With groceries in hand, I walked home as I breathed in the evening air. It tasted like decaying seaweed, salt, motor oil, and industrial gases from the shipyard, only feet away. Of all the places that I would have liked to visit, I had to choose to live here!

I sat my grocery bags down and fumbled for my keys as I unlocked the door. Bending down, I then picked up my bags and walked inside, gently kicking the door shut behind me. I then took the bags to the kitchen, resting them upon the counter.

"Hmm...homely." I remarked, looking at the Batchlor's pad that I call home. I glanced back at the front door, and with a swish of my hand, the lock then engaged. I smiled as I proclaimed "Looks like I still got it!"

"Home sweet industrial home! Oh, how I miss my ocean home!" I sighed as I looked at feminine myself in the glass's reflection "I should probably change back into my old self, but I am so blasted hungry! Besides! It's been well over eight hours and I haven't noticed any weird side-effects that mom was talking about! So, a quick dinner and a movie will not kill me! Besides, I have nothing planned for tomorrow! Perfect time to figuratively 'let my hair down'!"

I set out the food as I prepped the steak, basting it in Italian dressing as I microwave it for a minute to soak in some of the flavors as you typically marinate a steak for two days...but tonight is steak night, so I'm improvising!

I cut up the lettuce, cucumber, and radish as I smashed up a few carrots and tossed them on the salad as I set the ranch and salad upon the table, in front of my TV.

With the microwave beeping at me, I take out a frying pan, pour some coconut oil into the pan and placed the steak in and poured even more Italian dressing on the steak as I prep the bag of corn that I found in the freezer, boiling the carrots in a brown sugar bath, and letting the food simmer as the smells...oh my God...the smells are driving me insane!