Chapter 9 - Dispelling Cynthia

Monday – March 30th 2020

"...the virus worked perfectly!" Eileen continued...talking to a board member from China, "It took nearly five years to create this spell! But once released, it spread across the globe, infecting nearly 90% of the human population! Surpassing even our own expectations!"

"But the death count, Mrs. Hotode!" gasps the young Chinese woman "Shàngdì liánmǐn wǒmen suǒyǒu rén! 300 thousand are already dead! They might trace it back to us!"

"We project seven million dead, and seven billion infected by phase two!"

Eileen comments as I wondered what the hell that they were going on about! I listened as Eileen continued to talk about the virus.

"Who would have thought that this spell would change the world so much! But...we're not done...phase two will remodify the survivors to think and act the way we want them to think and act! We now need you to deliver on this 'vaccine', convince the world that it is a wonder drug so that people will take it!"

"You still have not shown us that you have the spell to change the male population into a viable female market of consumers." the Chinese woman comments as I heard Eileen sigh.

"We're in the middle of producing a proper spell...but that magic is old and mostly forgotten. Only one knows that magic well, and she and I are not on speaking terms at the moment."

I silently watched as Eileen and the Chinese lady walked on by, not noticing me as I kept chanting a silent mantra to 'be invisible', and it seemed to have worked! They did not see me, even though we were only feet apart!

With them walking out of sight, I quickly scampered from my location and hurried for the glass doors as I noticed that the receptionist was thankfully gone. I quickly exited the building, hurrying down the street -- running for my life!

Inside Sea-Sprites, Eileen showed her guest to a private room to make a call as she then detected a powerful burst of energy from someone releasing a potent spell of concealment.

'An intruder!?' Like a bloodhound, she traced the energy down the hallway, all the way to the front door.

Slamming the door opened, she rushed out onto the sidewalk, scanning the block as somehow, the magic had already faded away. She observed the eerily quiet cityscape, only seeing humans passing on by.

"Damn!" She gritted her teeth in frustration as she could not believe that they actually got away!

~~~

Hurrying down Madison was one of the scariest walks as I put on my face mask and looked around for anyone who might be coming after me! My mind was still spinning as I heard many things that terrified me!

'What did she mean? Phase two?'

I looked down at my watch as I was falling behind schedule. I caught the bus, riding it all the way to Queen Ann as I arrived at Cynthia's place. I knocked on the wooden door as I waited for someone inside to answer.

"Who is it?" Cynthia asks.

"Skylynn Danica."

"The doors open. Come on in. And be certain to remove your shoes this time!" she says.

I opened the door and breathed a sigh of relief as I made it...although, a few minutes late. If it wasn't for Eileen and that Chinese lady, I would have been right on time! But worst then being late, was worrying that this coronavirus everyone was talking about might actually be a manmade contagion...to kill and control! What soul makes such a thing!? Life was fragile and precious! Delicate like a flower!