31

Owen and Claire were hunching inside one of the gift shops of the park, the trainer had been alert to the noises coming from the I-Rex and his raptors and all he could hear were screeches and things breaking.

And then he heard nothing.

"No, come one Blue" whispered Owen "Come on girls, don't do this to me"

Claire was kneeling next to Owen, he was holding his hand reassuringly but Claire could see that Owen was becoming a nervous wreck with each cry they heard; she tried to understand, but she couldn't do it fully, she didn't have that kind of relation with the raptors, she hadn't even had a dog when she had been a kid, there was no way she could being to grasp the terror that was taking over Owen's brain.

"Girls, come one please" whispered Owen, his heart started to ache, this were his babies, he had seen them when they had hatched, he had raised them and now....

Now they were gone.

"Owen" whispered Claire, she gently placed her other hand over his shoulder.

But Owen wasn't the kind of person to give up hope easily, without glancing at Claire, he fished for his cellphone, he let go of Claire's hand and as fast as he could he dialed Lowery.

"Owen" said Lowery, there was a pause "They aren't moving"

Owen closed his eyes for a few seconds, he felt his heart shrink "Of course they are not" he finally whispered "Of course they are not"

"I'm sorry" Owen heard Gray's voice say into the phone.

"Me too, Owen" whispered Lowery.

Owen took a deep breath through his mouth "Yeah, me too" said Owen before he hung up.

Claire watched as Owen pushed his phone back inside his jeans, she could see that Owen had lost almost all of his color and his beautiful blue eyes had hardened and his jaw had tightened as he looked out the broken window of the gift shop.

"I'm sorry" whispered Claire, she didn't have to hear what Lowery had said, she knew it already: the raptors were gone.

"Yeah" was all Owen was able to say; his throat had turned into sand and he could feel a cold hand wrapping itself around his heart. "They are gone" thought Owen, it had never occurred to him that his babies would ever be taken out of his life.

"Owen" whispered Claire "With that thing out there, we can't let Zach and Bea come back here, she could hear the car"

Owen's head snapped towards Claire, for a second he had forgotten that Bea and Zach were making their way back to the park; without another thought he pulled his phone out and then dialed his sister's phone.

But there was no answer, because as Owen and Claire hid from the I-Rex, Bea had frozen under Hoskins' grip and was now having a flashback episode of two years ago.

"Jesus Christ" whispered Owen with anger as he canceled the call "Having and not having a cellphone is the same thing for that girl"

"Owen shhh" whispered Claire, Owen turned to look at her.

"What?" he asked.

"What happened to all the noise?" whispered Claire.

Owen pushed his phone back into his pants and frowned, all the shattering and screeching and screaming had disappeared, silence ruled the town now.

"She's looking for us" whispered Owen "She probably already knows where we are"

"Then why isn't she here?" asked Claire, she clutched to Owen's arm with force.