Chapter Twenty-Two

I wake feeling like my entire body is on fire. Walking seems almost impossible for me, I can't even lift a finger without a scorching pain spreading through my body. Ignoring is the best that I can do right now. I manage to sit up and look around, everything still a blurry mess until my sight begins to clear and almost immediately did I notice I am in the pack hospital.

Why the hell am I in here? I touch my forehead tentatively searching for a memory. " You're finally awake!" I hear his voice and I wanted to hide under the covers. I pull the covers over my head trying to act like I want to go back to sleep but I still hear his footsteps getting closer and closer to me until he was literally a footstep away from my face.

I was hopelessly wishing that he was someone else right now knowing damn well it wouldn't be him. He would never come to see me again . . . Why do I keep doing this to myself?

" Lance. . .I would have never thought I would see you in here. . .it's usually me who is always in here." He says to me softly. I roll my eyes at this. " It happens to the best of us." I say back shallowly. " Everyone is thankful for what you had done, especially the parents of those children." I feel my heart sink to the bottom of my stomach.

" I didn't do it for them." I say coldly. He pats my head and smiles at me. " You really are too kind. It was so reckless of you. You could have died."  I shrug his hand away from me trying not show him how he caught me off gaurd. I brought this upon myself. I knew what would happen. I felt the changes in my body, now I really am nothing but useless trash. I've served my purpose. 

" What are you doing here?"

" To see you of course. You have been sleeping for about a week. Everyone is worried about how slow your healing is going. I'm definitely worried." He says while touching my arm as the gashes still seem to be healing over. I wince at this and he instantly brings his hand back, I won't be able to heal properly after all this damage to my body. No. . .I know that's not the reason. 

" Sorry. . .I didn't think it would still hurt."

" Just leave already. . ."

I feel the heaviness of my heart starting to take its toll on me. I honestly don't want anyone around me. The burden of my heart only got heavier with a foreign burden weighing itself against it. He hugs me snuggling up to me in the process and my body does nothing but freeze. " It will be ok Lance. We know you did everything you could to save them. . ." Save them? What the hell is he talking about?

". . .Don't worry I won't try anything." He says softly almost in my ear causing my body to relax. " I realized suddenly how much I want to keep you near me, and if me only being a friend to you will allow that then I guess I have to settle for that."

" Stop speaking so softly. You're making me uncomfortable." He laughs at this. " Is that so. . .well that's how I always talk Lance. Haven't you noticed?"

" No."

" Did something happen between you and your mate?" My eyes widen. I shake my head. " Nothing worth mentioning."

" Tell me."

" There isn't anything to tell." I say back getting annoyed.

I can feel his breathe hitting my neck and my mind almost instantly brings up the recent memory of Seth forcing my eyes to close. " Hmm.  . . I don't smell any other scent on you other than your own. I don't even see a mark."

" It doesn't. . .concern you."

He sighs. " I am. . .a bit jealous. . . I'm really jealous of him actually. He got what I wanted for so long in such a short time. . ." He says while subtly brushing his hand down my back. " He's my mate. . .I liked women before I met him. You would have never had a chance."