45.

"Why isn't she healed yet?" I hear a voice snarl, sounding exactly like Tyler.

A deep pain burns my skin making me want to cry out in pain. No sound leaves my chapped lips and I feel the soreness of my entire body. I try to open my eyes and feel them struggling against me.

"Her body is rejecting every drug we give her. It's like her body is refusing anything. Water is hard to get in her. We've tried a few transplants of blood so most of the major chemicals are out of her body."

"So, what's wrong with her?" Tyler is panicked now.

"Like I said, her body is rejecting everything we give her. We have tried feeding her but she vomits it up. Water is the only thing that seems to stay."

"Is there any way to help her?"

I hear a sigh. "No, unless the Rogue King knows exactly what was put into the serums, she is going to be like this for a while."

Tyler snarls. "Do NOT speak of his name!"

"Alpha, he is the only one who knows how to save your mate! If you didn't kill him-"

"He is good as dead to me!"

"Alpha-"

"Fix-"

"I am trying-"

"The Rogue King can't do shit anymore. She is safe from him!"

"Alpha! I cannot do anything until my department can figure out what is in the serums."

"They never hacked into her laptop. She is safe from those deadly things but I smell wolfsbane in her system. Get the fucking poison out of her!"

"We can't, Alpha. She is human!"

"Then do a blood transfer! Figure out a damn way to get it out of her body! I want my mate awake and moving during the visit of her family and during the visit of a dozen Alphas."

"When is that?"

"Three days."

"We will try our best-"

I hear a door slam open and smack against a wall. "Doctor Ethan! We have a break through!"

"Wonderful! What is it?"

"You need to see it!" The voice exclaims before the squeaking of shoes fills the room.

I feel a hand rest on my forehead before tracing my lips and brushing hair away from the face.

"I will make you better again, I promise, my love." He whispers, his breath fanning my face.

Everything in me wants to see his green eyes and the emotions filling them. The need to have him hold me and talk to me is strong along with the need to make his sadness disappear.

"I have a few things I need to tell you. Are you okay if I say them now?" His tone is soft and broken. "Fuck it, you can't hear me, I think."

He sighs and is silent for so long that if he wasn't holding my hand tightly I would have thought he left. "I put Jake in the dungeons, slowly dying from blood loss with no help from his wolf. I felt no remorse for it because he tried- and nearly did- kill you! He betrayed me, Summer. My love, my best friend betrayed me and deceived me. He made me think that I wasn't a worthy king. He made me lose hope in myself when I was at my lowest point. I didn't have you-"

He pauses abruptly as the squeaking of shoes fills the air. "Alpha Wolfe! I have good news!"

"What is it?" Tyler growls, a quick change in his depressed mood. "Because if you don't spew it right now, I will beat it out of you."