67.

"How the fuck was I supposed to know my truck was going to break down on the highway?!" I snap, anger and annoyance filling me while my best friend keeps droning on about my lack of observation.

My mate on the other hand, shifted and is by my side. His fur is bristled as if he is prepared for an attack and his slow, predatory movements don't help. Thankfully I grabbed my backpack and it offers me some comfort.

Jack, being ignorant as always, continues to complain about having to walk six miles back to town.

"But it's your truck!" He shouts and it echoes slightly. "You should know when it's going to break down!"

"Well to bad, Jack! I didn't know! You can run ahead if you want, I'm not keeping you here!"

He shuts his mouth and sulks ahead, his shoulders forward and his hands in his pockets. I take a deep breath before a wet nose touches my curled up hand.

"What?" I ask, snapping accidently.

The wolf whines and lays his ears back. I growl lowly and begin to run ahead of them all. Every step feels like a punch in my chest. My mind spins with information and in confusion.

Nathan's war plans and my involvement in them. He has a plan for me and it's worse than what Jake had planned.

Jake just wanted me as leverage against Tyler and to see if he could harness my powers for his own, my brother doesn't have the same loving idea. His involves death. Death of those who have power over him.

He wants me  to kill Tyler. At least that's what I got from the small snippet of information I read at work.

If my father wasn't already here, due to Jack's graduation, he would probably be dead right now. My lips twist into a snarl and I pick up the pace, my backpack slapping against my back.

I need to go over these plans and I need to see how I can save as many lives as possible. I need to see if he's contacted hunters and, if so, which ones he has. He knows the second he takes me off guard, he has to make his biggest attack ever.

He knows the second he declares war on me, it isn't sibling connection that will stop me from destroying the threat to my wolves. Nothing will stop me until the threat is gone for good.

I feel the switch in my mind begins to flicker and my shadows egg me on. They whisper lies and promise me that if we destroy him, we won't have any issues.

My logical part of my brain tells me that I need to train my wolves to fight hunters and to teach them quickly.

My foot lands on the sidewalk and my running slowly down to a jog, still moving through town quickly.

I need to see what's on this file and talk with dad about what has been happening with Nate. Maybe I can get an understanding of what is really going on to try to talk him out of war.

I slowly down to a quick walk before I storm up the stairs. I feel a presence behind me before I'm lifted off of my feet and into someone's arms.

"My love, why the rush?" Tyler purrs.

I growl lowly before relaxing against his chest. "When did you have time to change?"

"Your jog isn't as fast as my wolfish sprint." I feel him begin to pepper kisses down my neck. "And I felt your emotions. Your anger is dangerous, love."

I roll my eyes but I don't deny it. It's true that my temper is dangerous. It's what's gotten me into most of my troubles.

"My mother called and told me that you are going dress shopping with her and a few of her friends. She said you could bring one male as a guest to make sure the dress isn't too improper. So I nominated Casey for the role. I trust him enough."