Amelia

*Three Hours Earlier* 

Hunter and I had been friends forever. We grew up together. When high school hit, we started running in different circles. He did his thing; I did mine.

We talked, but not like we used to. We only talked when he needed something. Which wasn't as bad as it sounded. At least he still came to me for stuff.

I had met him at the park bench to talk to him. I missed him and had to get some stuff of my chest. I sat next to him and sighed.

It was silent for a moment, a gentle breeze blowing my hair in different directions. I turned to him and sighed.

"You know, people told me you were a bad guy. I know it too. I know what you do with girls, yet here I am. I used to think—hell I still do—that you may be a bad boy, but not an all around bad guy."

I shook my head and ran my hands down my face, exhaling sharply.

"God, I am an idiot. I stay here anyway. I mean, we're not even dating or friends with benefits, so I shouldn't feel upset, should I? But, I like you, dammit, I really do! The sad part is, you know it too. You just don't care." I whispered, swallowing back my tears.

I stood and wiped my hands on my jeans and not looking him in the eye. "Whatever, you're probably not listening anyway." I shot him one last glance, then I went home.

When I was home, I called my best friend Lyla—the only one I could rely on. I was there for her and she was there for me. We met freshman year in choir.

We didn't become close until she found me crying in the hallway because I was stupid enough to tell Hunter I had feelings for him. She consoled me and slowly but surely, we ended up telling each other our life stories.

She had it pretty good. Her parents were happily married, but her older brother and older sister were these successful people that her parents always compared her to.

No matter what she did, she wasn't good enough for them, but they did love her. You had to be in the house and environment to understand. My life, it was fine, but that was a later story.

It was a Saturday, so it was my study day. Sunday's I liked to sleep and just relax. Saturday's were days where I tried to understand what Trig meant.

"Hey," Lyla plopped on my bed. "How many times have I told you to lock your front door?" I moved my work to the side and laughed. "Hi, and I thought I had."

"Well you didn't." she laughed and looked at my work. "Need help?" "Nah, I was just taking a break anyway." I shrugged. "So you okay?" She asked.

"Yeah," I replied. "Are you?"

"Of course!" She laughed. "When is your dad coming back?" I sighed and shrugged. "I don't know." She hugged me and sighed. "He's an idiot."

"He tries—"

"No talking about him anymore. Hunter should be asking you how you are." she insisted.

"It's because we're good friends. And he needs to focus on his school work and—"

"I don't buy it. He sleeps around and totally leaves you alone until he needs something." she countered. I shrugged. "He has to survive high school."

"So do we, but we're not sluts." She scoffed.

"Maybe not, but... I dunno. What if I could be the girl that changes him? If he'd just listen to me long enough, I feel like I could maybe change him." I hoped.