5. Amelia

Sorry for the extremely long delay, but here's Amelia's chapter! :)

~~~

Throughout the day, I made sure my dad took his meds and ate properly. Around lunch time, I didn't feel too well, but I pushed through it.

My dad needed me.

I couldn't be sick.

I wasn't sick.

"Amelia," Dad said. "Sit down."

I sat at the foot of his bed and put a hand on his leg. "You okay?"

"I'm fine," he half smiled. "I wanna talk to you."

I shrugged.

"What about?"

"Well, I'm so sorry ab—"

"Dad, none of this is your fault," I cut him off. "All you were doing was trying to help that mother and daughter."

"But you're not going to college and you would be if I wasn't hurt!"

"Did Hunter—?"

"No, I know you. Plus, Hunter is ready for next month and you haven't even packed,"

"I can go next year," I assured him.

He sighed.

"I just want you to be happy," he whispered as he looked me in the eye.

"I am," I said purposefully, hoping it would convince him.

A moment of silence passed before my dad suddenly muttered, "Hunter seems to make you happy,"

"Dad—"

"I know he only recently came back into your life, but he seems to be back to his old self," he shrugged.

"Hunter's great," I smiled. "You let me know if you need anything."

Just as I was about to stand up, Cassie ran into the bedroom and hugged my legs. Ms. Arnold laughed and shook her head as she followed behind her and Hunter popped in with a wave.

"Hey guys," I chuckled.

Hunter smiled. "Told you I'd be back!"

"Mr. Tyler, are you okay?" Cassie asked Dad demandingly as she pointed an accusing finger at him.

Dad smiled. He looked as though he was trying to suppress laughter.

"I'm okay, Cassie. You're getting so tall!"

"I'm eight!" she yelled in response.

"Cassie, inside voice," Ms. Arnold chided her.

"She's okay," Dad said as he ruffled her hair.

"Hey, can I steal Amelia for a while?" Hunter asked.

"Hunter, you know I can't—"

"Amelia, go," Dad chuckled.

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely. I've got company," he gestured toward Cassie, who had opened up a Monopoly box and pulled out the board.

I looked at Ms. Arnold. "He's just had his meds, so if we're not back in about four hours, he knows what he needs to take and he has to eat—"

"Honey, don't worry," Ms. Arnold petted my hair. "This isn't my first rodeo."

"Right, sorry," I nodded.

"You're okay," she interjected.

Hunter and I walked out of the room and shut the door.