Amelia

History class was a drag. All I could think about was Mason and his lips on my stomach. What was he thinking? Was I supposed to be okay with this? I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be or not, but I wasn't. 

Also, did he and Hunter have some rivalry I never knew about? Hunter and I had drifted apart when high school rolled around and he started to sleep with other girls. He seemed really hurt though when he saw Mason and I together. 

Did he want me now that I was "taken?" Did he ever really like me like he said in the tree house? The tree house... Him nibbling my ear, holding my hips... Then he exploded into a rant about not being able to be with me. 

Hunter busted through the classroom, breaking my thoughts. He handed in his paper that was due and just before he left, he locked eyes with me. He scoffed and walked away and my heart sank a little. But I wasn't allowed to feel sympathy for him. 

I couldn't. He messed with my head all these years. I knew exactly where he was going; the animal shelter. He always went there when he ditched school. Sure he was the school's bad boy, but he had a good heart. He always cared for animals. 

Dogs were his favorite- big and little, mutt or purebred. It was one of the things we used to do together. We would go see the dogs, play with them, and talk ourselves out of adopting one... Those were the fun days. 

Bad, Amelia! You're reinvented. Stop it! 

I shook my head as the bell rang and everyone handed in their stupid papers on their way out the door. "Hey." Mason came up to me; his arm snaked around my waist. "Hey." I smiled at him. There you go! Good, Amelia! 

"So you wanna go to the arcade tonight?" He asked. "Sure, sounds fun." I said. "Good. I'll pick you up at five." He kissed my cheek. He went to walk away, but I grabbed his arm. He looked at me, confused.

 "If you're gonna pick me up, you need my address, goof." I smirked, typing in my number and address in his phone. "There. Text me when you're at my house." "Alright. I've gotta say, I'm surprised Lyla hasn't set us up before. You're different from what I thought you'd be." he said. 

"How so?" I tilted my head. "You're not..." he searched for a word. "You don't have all these rules and regulations and hoops. Not that you're easy, but... You're open but you're not. Very interesting."

 "Why thank you," I chuckled. "You're quite interesting yourself." "See you tonight," he said, walking away with a smirk. "See you tonight!" I called, walking to my next class. 

***

 After school, I went home to an empty house. Dad was still at work. Since my mom died when I was ten, he overworked himself. He loved me, but couldn't really stand to be around me. The tree house he made with Hunter's dad when we were kids was a place for me to go when he was home. 

I shook the thoughts away and went upstairs to change. I slipped into a pink skirt, a white tank top and curled my chocolate brown hair. I wish I had blue or green eyes, but the brown/hazel color was okay. My phone suddenly rang and it was Lyla. 

"Hey, what's up?" I answered. 

"Not much, you?" she asked. 

"Getting ready for Mason to come get me." I smiled. "Ooh, where y'all goin'?" She asked. 

"Arcade, which sounds fun." I shrugged, checking my mascara and eyeliner, making sure you could tell I had eyes and eyelashes. 

"That does. It's such a cute date." she laughed. 

"You should come. Might meet someone." I said. 

"Okay," she said. "See you later." 

"Later," I said and hung up. There were knocks at the door and I grabbed my purse, throwing my phone in and opened the door for Mason. "Hey." I said.