6. Hunter

Guys, I totally thought I hit publish yesterday! I'm such a lamebrain, sorry. :/

To make up for it, this is pretty long... ;)

~~

I stared down at Amelia's sleeping figure for a moment before I quietly stepped outside and sat down on her front porch.

The sun bore down on my neck, so I looked up and squinted, marveling at how one huge ball of gas could give light to so many people.

I suppose the sun is like me. I thought to myself. Heated when nearby, providing warmth, cold when far away, facing another direction as if giving the cold shoulder.

I shook my head and let it fall into my hands, my elbows propped up on my knees to keep it in place. The sound of birds chirping and random animals scurrying hit my ears, and the aroma of blooming flowers touched my nostrils like a kiss.

Peace is what I suppose it was called. Somehow, just sitting outside for those few moments brought me peace.

I stood, walked over to the front door and pulled it open. With one last glance of the beauties of the outside world, I stepped inside and locked the door.

At least, I attempted to.

Before I could step foot back inside the house my phone went off and my ringtone for Ms. Arnold, Independent Women Pt I by Destiny's Child, blasted through my phone's speaker.

All the women, who are independent, throw your hands up at me...

I answered the phone with a smile and a quiet, "Hey Ms. Arnold. What's going on?"

"Oh nothing, just calling to ask if you were coming home for dinner," her voice said through the phone.

I scratched the back of my head and sighed.

"What's the sigh for Hunter? Cheer up, today is a beautiful day! The birds are chirping, the sun is out... is this about Amelia?"

"Huh, what, Amelia, no, no, no I am just lost in my thoughts and stuff and onomatopoeia!" I rambled.

She chuckled. "Definitely about Amelia then."

"Yeah," I admitted with a sigh.

"I just... I'm feeling extremely conflicted and confuzzled right now. Amelia told me her feelings. I just, I don't," I let out an exasperated sigh.

"Hunter, everything will be fine. You guys have been together for so long, nothing can break your bond. No matter what, you guys will be the best of friends, as always."

"That's the thing though. She feels insecure around me! She feels like she has to impress me or look nice, when she's already the most beautiful girl I've ever seen.

For some reason she cares how I see her and seems to think I don't see her as something good. She told me, well indirectly but directly, that she likes me and like the idiot I am, I didn't respond. I couldn't."

"Couldn't, or wouldn't?"

I sat down.

"I- I don't know."

"Well Hunter, seems like you have a lot to think about. I can't help you, because this is your decision. You know what you want more than I do, but I can say if you can call her the most beautiful girl you've ever seen without hesitation.. things need to change with the relationships that you have."

A beat of silence passed as I thought what she said over. The wind blew a gust at me and ruffled my hair a bit, then went away. It was almost as if a hand had touched my head lightly, then left.