Hunter

I felt my shoulders shake and I stirred, but my body willed me to succumb to sleep. A soft voice tickled my ear when it whispered, "Hey wake up."

I squeezed my eyes, then willed them to open. Where am I? I shot up in my seat and rubbed my eyes. When they adjusted to the light, I immediately started panicking, everything that happened rushing back to me like a huge wave.

A cool hand grabbed my arm, causing me to whip my head in the direction the hand came from.

I blinked and squinted at the figure beside me. I felt drained. Utterly and completely drained. As if not just my eyes my soul were drained of tears, but my body, my soul, and my mind.

Funny how it feels like I have been asleep for an eternity but I still don't feel refreshed.

I guess that's how people who wake up from a coma feel.

"Amelia?" When did she get here?

"Yeah. The doctor said she's gonna be fine. Ms. Arnold is talking with her now."

My mood brightened as I asked, "She's okay?"

She nodded and echoed my words. "She's okay."

With a sigh I leaned back in my chair, still slightly panicked. She's okay, I reminded myself. Running my fingers over my face and through my hair, I shook my head.

"How did this happen?" I muttered, talking to myself. 

She's my little sister and she almost died. She's only eight for crying out loud!

Amelia answered anyway.

"Some allergies aren't discovered till later."

I looked down.

"Yeah, I guess."

She brought a hand over mine and rubbed it, calming me down a little more.

"Cassie is just fine. I promise."

I sighed. "I know."

Ms. Arnold walked up to us with a smile and said, "Y'all can see her. She's asking for y'all."

We nodded and followed her to Cassie's room. I immediately bear hugged her and kissed her ear.

"Can't—breathe." Cassie choked out with a small chuckle.

I quickly let go and kissed her forehead.

"Are you okay?"

Cassie nodded. "Took a really good nap."

We all laughed. I didn't believe her for a second.

I looked her over and stated, "The swelling has gone down."

"Good. Are you okay?" She is in a hospital bed because she almost died and she is asking me if I'm okay?

I nodded, avoiding the question.

"I'm glad you're okay."

Cassie formed a gun with her fingers and declared, "Of course I am. I'm Cassidy Arianna Morris! Nothing can beat me!"

I laughed and said, "You're nuts!"

"Yep." She turned to Amelia and motioned for her to come closer.

"Amelia, come here!"

I moved aside and watched as Amelia hugged her lightly.

"So are you gonna visit us more or not?"