AKAASHI KEIJI

赤葦 京治

• Height : 182.3 cm

• Weight : 70.7 kg

• Birthday : December 5

• Age : 17

• He has a habit of fiddling with his fingers; this can be seen in the manga in several panels and official arts as well.

• Akaashi can be seen as calm and composed most of the time, not showing a wide range of emotions.

• His star sign is Sagittarius.

• At the barbecue, Akaashi hands a cup of water to a choking Kageyama.

• Akaashi seems to be the closest person to Bokuto, often getting dragged into his antics whether he likes it or not. They also hang out together outside of practice in school.

• His jersey number is 5.

• Akaashi has short, messy, black hair and slate-grey eyes with slightly thick eyebrows; in some official art, his eyes appear green but in others, they are more blue.

• His favorite food is boiled rapeseed plants with karashi mustard dressing (Nanohana no Karashiae)

• Akaashi is known to have larger hands than Bokuto (according to the Haikyuu store).

• Akaashi can change clothes very quickly.

• He has been observed to enjoy onigiri, also known as Japanese rice balls.

• As opposed to being shy, Akaashi is somehow blunt with the things he says and often invites himself into the conversation when necessary, occasionally throwing in a witty comment or response.

• He is also really analytical, for during the Nekoma-Fukurodani match, when Bokuto forgot how to do cross spikes, Akaashi was able to successfully pull it off.

• His current concern is that he wants to up his physical power levels a bit more.

• He also seems to have a list of Bokuto's weaknesses memorized.

• Although he is just a second-year, he is the vice-captain of the volleyball club.

• He can be pretty cheeky as he called Kuroo 'The pain-in-the-ass-Kuroo-san'.

• He is also very humble, knowing his own limits in his skills as he pointed out he could not have done what Kageyama did.

• Akaashi is overall a very balanced player and a good setter who can accurately set the toss for a wide range of attacks.

• He has been noted for his strategic skills as well, and his ability to perform a quick-set even when the receive is a bit sloppy.

• Although he is polite to a certain degree, this could be due to the fact that he is younger than most of his teammates.

• The name Akaashi (赤葦) probably has a reference to the アカアシモリフクロウ (akaashi-mori-fukurou), known as the rufous-legged owl in English.
Note: the species of owl is not written as "赤葦" ("赤" meaning red, and "葦" meaning reed) - again, this is likely to be a transcription of the katakana into kanji, and the literal meaning of the kanji is likely to be insignificant.

• His name Keiji (京治) is a popular boys' name in Japan, out of which 京治 is a rare writing of the name in kanji - more common versions include 慶次, 啓治, etc.
京 means "city", while "治" means "to govern/to cure". It is likely that this is simply an attempt by the author to transcribe the sound "keiji" to kanji, and is unlikely that the literal meaning of the kanji carries any significance or meaning.