What It Could Have Been

The original pilot chapter for the manga had Kageyama actively trying to convince Hinata into joining the volleyball club, as he had his abnormal jumping abilities, but Hinata didn't want to join and would run away every time he was asked to join. They also became very good, close friends much faster than in the actual storyline.

The full original pilot was released and revealed the following that didn't make it into the canon story:

• Kageyama was the protagonist instead of Hinata.

• Hinata was described as being clumsy when it came to sports, being more of an accidental athlete in the original pilot.

• Kageyama was number 10 in the chapter but 6 on the cover art and Hinata was number 12; later changing to Kageyama being number 9, Hinata 10, Yamaguchi 12, and Ennoshita 6.

• Daichi, Kageyama, Hinata, and Tanaka were the only members of Karasuno that appeared; Suga, Asahi, Noya, Ennoshita, Narita, Kinoshita, and Yamaguchi not appearing at all.

• Karasuno was initially named "Hiashi."

• Tanaka's personality was much harsher, being a jerk ass and rude to Kageyama and Hinata, but more so to Hinata, and was mellowed out into a strong big brother mentor with a strong big brother instinct towards Hinata in the canon story.