Chapter Eight

"Happy Birthday to you...Happy Birthday to you..."

Kefira awoke the morning of her birthday to the obnoxious singing of her older sisters as she tried to sleep in for a bit, but she was at the mercy of their horrible vocals. 

"You live in a zoo," Lottie sang bringing a smile to Kefira's lips as she buried her face into her pillow to hide. 

"You smell like a monkey!" Nellie yelled.

"And you look like one too!" Rosemary finished off bringing all four of them to giggle. 

"I think you meant lioness, but I'll forgive you all this time since I'm in such a good birthday mood," Kefira told them as she lifted her head up. Her curls spilled into her face, blocking the majority of her vision until Rosemary sat down beside her and pushed the girl's hair back. 

Before any of the sisters could say anything, the bedroom door opened wider and their parents walked in with bright smiles to greet the birthday girl. Once again, it was a giant fuss as the youngest Walsh, celebrated another birthday. Turning fifteen years old, Alana and Cardel seemed to be beside themselves as they found it hard to believe that the girl was growing up so quickly.  They went through the stereotypical motions of thinking that it was only yesterday that the girl had turned eleven and was revealed to be a witch.

In just four years time, Kefira had experienced so much, even if they weren't only pleasant memories. She had discovered that she was a witch, been petrified, was taught by a werewolf, and managed an entire year with a corrupt soul as her professor. It was certainly nothing the parents could relate to others when they brought up their children's stories.  And they definitely didn't have to put up with anything of the sort when it came to raising the other three girls. But it kept the Walsh family on their toes, something Kefira was known for long before they learned that she was a witch.

"I made pancakes for breakfast," Alana said adjusting one of Kefira's curls, bringing a smile to her face. "I thought you might like that."

"Sounds great," Kefira said before glancing around the room for a moment. "Where's Neville? Is he still asleep?"

"Of course he is," Lottie said. "You kept him up half the night.....watching Disney movies that is," she quickly added the last part as the girls witnessed their parents' eyes widen. 

"Well, he hadn't seen them all, yet. And it's not like we can watch them at school," Kefira said pushing her blanket off of her and placing her feet on the floor. "For a bunch of magic people, I'm telling you they are far behind when it comes to entertainment. No television or anything of the sort...I don't understand why, though."

"Because it corrupts the mind!" Cardel said giving her a shake and bringing her to laugh. 'They want you to keep your innocence for as long as possible."

"Trust me, Dad, if that were the case, they wouldn't have half the things they do at the castle," Kefira told him.

"Like what?" The father asked folding his arms and looking down at her. She peered up at him, realizing she had said too much. 

"Um..." She glanced around the room before standing up. "I need to go brush my teeth, I can hear the pancakes calling to me!"

"Actually," Nellie interrupted. "They're calling for me, you might want to get your ears cleaned."

"Right after you get that upper lip of yours waxed!" Kefira countered out in the hallways. Nellie narrowed her eyes before looking at her parents.

"Such a shame she won't live to see her sixteenth birthday!" She said before running out of the room. Seconds later, Kefira let out a scream as her sister attacked.