Chapter Forty Six

While it normally took all three boys to hold Kefira back during a time where she was angry, she was no match for Neville when he was upset

While it normally took all three boys to hold Kefira back during a time where she was angry, she was no match for Neville when he was upset. As soon as it was confirmed that it had been Umbridge that had caused the blistering word to appear on Kefira's hand during her detention, there was a completely different side that emerged to Neville. He was heading straight down the warpath to destroy Umbridge and Kefira couldn't stop him, no matter how hard she pulled on the back of his shirt. He had made his way out of the portrait hole and down the flight of stairs of the Gryffindor Tower, but Kefira couldn't let him go any further. She obviously didn't want him to get in trouble with Umbridge as no good would come from it. Neville was usually the level headed one and didn't act out of pure emotion but something had triggered the boy to respond much different from his usual norm.

"Nevs, wait!" Kefira jumped in front of him and placed her hands out against his chest, pushing him back as if he were a brick wall. He remained in place and looked down at her. "Listen to me, Nevs, you trying to go after her isn't going to solve anything. My big mouth got me into trouble and-"

"She had no right to hurt you!" Neville growled as he tried walking ahead again. She continued to push against him.

"I know she didn't! I know! But McGonagall already knows and right now, she just wants us to keep a low profile because if Umbridge keeps coming after us, there's really no one that can stop her right now. She has the Ministry on her side-"

"To hell with the Ministry!" Neville told her. "I don't care if she had Merlin in her back pocket!"

Kefira had to do her best not to smile, incredibly glad and proud to hear Neville take such a stand against Umbridge. But she knew it just wasn't the proper time to do anything. Something was going to happen and it was going to happen soon, they just had to be patient. She remembered a time where Neville wouldn't even dare to stand up for himself, let alone others, but the boy before her had grown an enormous amount since their time in first year. He wasn't the shy and timid boy on the train that couldn't find one interesting thing about himself to talk about. Instead, he was Neville Longbottom, a boy who had experienced pain from a time where he was only a baby. He had suffered the loss of his parents, knowing where they were but not being able to communicate with them freely as he wished. He had grown up with the expectations of becoming his parents when no one ever encouraged him to be himself. He had been ridiculed by his family over the idea of possibly being a squib, only to come to Hogwarts and have some of his professors belittle him every chance they had.

But Neville did not remain defeated, instead, he continued to push himself back up and kept trying. He went to Potions class every day, knowing fully that he would be met with Professor Snape's harsh attitude. He was improving in his classes and Kefira figured it was safe to say that plenty of their classmates had noticed that he was sticking up for himself more and more. Not only that, Neville was sticking up for others as well, an incredible leap from being too frightened before.