Chapter Thirty

While Kefira appeared no longer upset with what Professor Snape had said to her in the classroom, Neville found himself still extremely furious with the entire matter. Kefira was not one to cry often and she certainly wouldn't allow herself to just start crying in front of all their peers in class, which meant that she had been gravely hurt. No matter how upset Professor Snape had been because of Profesor Umbridge putting him in a foul mood, he had no right to take it out on Kefira. Especially when the girl continuously went out of her way to the defend the man. Why she continued to stand up for Snape, Neville didn't understand but he was sure that Kefira just disliked any sort of bullying.

Neville knew that Professor Snape was not intimidated by him in the slightest and if he approached the Potions master, he would probably end up with a detention and it would solve nothing. But the boy did know that there was someone in the castle that held the respect of everyone she came into contact with. 

With a knock on Professor McGonagall's door, Neville waited patiently until the woman invited him into her office. As soon as he opened the door and stepped in, McGonagall looked up from the current essays that she was grading, and suddenly, looking slightly alarmed.

"Mr. Longbottom, is everything alright?" She asked. He could see the next question forming on her lips as she was probably going to ask if Kefira was feeling sick, but he knew that the girl wasn't. He had left her in the Common Room with Seamus as the two were playing Exploding Snap.

"Is Miss Walsh-"

"She's fine, Professor," Neville told her. "At least, as fine as she can be given the recent events."

"I'm afraid I don't follow."

Neville didn't want to say the word out loud, he didn't want to say it at all, it was a disgusting term, used by the small-minded. But he knew he had to tell Professor McGonagall because Professor Snape's behavior had gone too far that time.

"Um...can I write down what happened?" Neville questioned the woman. McGonagall seemed confused but she offered her quill and a piece of parchment paper for him to scribble on. He quickly wrote down a brief summary of the situation before handing it to the professor. McGonagall took it from him and quickly read it over before her face turned pale.

"Mr. Longbottom, these are serious accusations, are you sure?"

"Professor, you didn't see Kefira cry in class like I did. This isn't something she would make up, especially after she's the only one who tried to defend him against Professor Umbridge."

"Umbridge?" The woman repeated. "Was she observing the Potions class today?"

"Yes."

"Why didn't Miss Walsh come to me to discuss this situation?"

"Professor McGonagall, with all due respect, I think we both know the answer to that."

"Very well, I will see to this matter. Thank you for bringing it up to my attention, Mr. Longbottom."