Chapter Ninety-Eight

(blmiller )

(blmiller )

●▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

Neville and Kefira were given the task of alerting Professor McGonagall while the others decided to remain behind and try to pose a distraction to prevent the Death Eaters from getting any further than the Room of Requirement. The two teens didn't like the idea of leaving their friends behind, but they were reassured that they would be fine. Hermione had summoned all members of the D.A. and she hoped that enough reinforcement would arrive to help defend the castle from inside. Unable to argue any further, Kefira led the way, unsure of where to even begin looking to find the professor at the time. Regardless, running into any staff would probably benefit them as long as it wasn't Professor Snape.

"Wait, wait, wait!" Kefira skidded to a halt, nearly causing Neville to collide with her from behind. He wore a fretful look, almost as though he was regretting calling to her when they were back in the Gryffindor Tower. If he knew things were going to turn out as dangerous as they were, he would have left Kefira in the dorms for as long as possible. He knew in comparison that she was probably better prepared for a fight, but it didn't mean that he didn't want to keep her safe. If anything ever happened to her, he wouldn't be able to forgive himself for getting her involved. 

"What?!" He looked around, fearful that she had seen something that he didn't but instead, Kefira booked it back in the direction of the stairs leading to the Gryffindor Tower. 

"Elizabeth! Elizabeth!" Her voice carried up the stairs before she reached the portrait. "Eliza-"

"Kefira, what is going on? Why are you out of breath? Wh-"

"There's no time for explaining, Elizabeth," Kefira told her. "You need to go, alert all the portraits that Death Eaters are in the castle."

Even if she was a painting at the time, Neville swore he could see the colour fade from the portrait's face as Elizabeth's eyes widened in horror. "Are you certain?"

"This isn't something I would joke about, Elizabeth," Kefira answered," they're coming through the Room of Requirement, alert the other portraits, try to inform all of the professors, but don't get Snape involved. He's in on it...he's the one helping them, along with Draco Malfoy. Now hurry, please!"

It didn't take long for Elizabeth to vanish from her frame, leaving Kefira to turn back to Neville. "Alright, let's find, Professor McGonagall," he said grabbing her hand and leading her back down the stairs. "That was brilliant thinking, by the way."

There was a hint of a grin on her face as she looked up at him. "Thank you, I've been trying this whole thing of think before you act. It's actually been working out pretty well."

Elizabeth seemed to work fast because as the two ran through the corridors, Kefira could hear portraits whispering and moving from their frames to deliver the news to others. She was sure in a few minutes time that everyone in the castle would be alert to what was taking place. Suddenly, as they rounded the corner, the two of the collided into two bodies. The group itself exchanged cries of startlement, all of them fearing that they were running into Death Eaters, but Kefira was the first to sigh in relief as they had run into Professor McGonagall and Professor Sprout.