Chapter Twenty Five

Neville wasn't sure where to even begin when it came to explaining to Professor McGonagall the theory as to why Kefira was sick, but he knew he had to do something. Kefira was stubborn enough that she would allow herself to grow sicker before she asked for any help. He also didn't like how she had looked at him before she had left the greenhouse earlier. There was a look of hurt in her eyes as she knew that he hadn't believed a word of what she was trying to tell him when it came to Godric and Morgana.

It wasn't that Neville didn't believe the backstory of it all, it actually seemed to make plenty of sense as no one was fully aware of what had happened with Godric Gryffindor's line. Many assumed that he didn't continue his line as he passed on before doing so. However, there were too many similarities between Kefira and Godric for it to be purely coincidental. 

What Neville didn't believe was that Faye was behind the whole matter of her getting sick. It was hard to believe that a girl who was the same age as them, was capable of doing such a thing and not getting caught. Not to mention, why was it only occurring in the recent couple of years?  Faye had been friends with them until past second year when she started to drift away and go about doing her own thing. It didn't make sense that she would just turn on Kefira all of a sudden.

He knew Kefira was frightened, for her health and possibly for her life in general. He was scared for her as well, but he wouldn't go as far as to blame it on another classmate without evidence. The word of a portrait was one thing, but they had no physical evidence of Faye doing anything to Kefira. They couldn't just accuse Faye outright but Neville didn't want Kefira to become sicker just to prove a point, which was why he was headed in the direction of the Deputy Headmistress of the school.

As he arrived at the woman's office, he could only sigh in relief for a moment as Professor McGonagall was there. Pushing the door open further, Neville walked in without asking but wore an apologetic expression on his face as the woman looked up at him.

"Mr. Longbottom," McGonagall seemed surprised by the boy's interruption as she looked at him passed her glasses. "Wh-"

"Professor McGonagall, I'm sorry to interrupt," he said. "But this is really important, it has to do with Kefira's illness. I think it's getting worse and we might know why."

Before he could say anything else, Hermione arrived behind him in the doorway, waiting to speak as well.

The Professor's eyes widened and Neville waited for her to dismiss Hermione, however, before she could even think about it, Hermione argued her point to stay. After all, she did share the dorm with Kefira and had her own concerns about the girl's health. 

"She wasn't feeling well this afternoon," Hermione said. "She took a nap when she came back to the dorm and I think we all know that she is not one to nap. She also appeared cold."

"Madam Pomfrey has agreed to work on it and observe Miss Walsh to get to the bottom of her illness but-" McGonagall began but Neville interrupted her.

"It might be too late by then," Neville told her. "Kefira has...a...theory that she's being poisoned."

"Poisoned?" McGonagall repeated before she stood up. "Mr. Longbottom, those are very serious accusations for one to have."

"I-I'm aware," Neville said, taking a moment to clear his throat and take a deep breath. Now was not the time for his nervous stammering to get in the way. Every moment counted and he would just be wasting time if he couldn't get his words out properly.  "But once you hear her theory, Professor, I don't think you'll be questioning that part of it."

"Can't the theory wait?" Hermione interjected. "With all due respect, Kefira is feeling ill right now, but she's too stubborn to go to the Hospital Wing. Professor, you're probably the only person she will listen to."