Chapter One Hundred Fourteen

Kefira stood awkwardly in slight disappointment as Neville took a moment longer to answer her question. He wasn't going to come with her and after everything they had been through, it was hard for her to think of them being apart. It made her nearly reconsider what she was about to do because if Neville didn't think it was a good idea, he was normally her voice of reason. She was always so quick to act, running off of pure emotions at the time, but Neville usually remained the level-headed one of their relationship. She didn't need his approval, but she definitely wanted his support or the reasons as to why he would be against it. 

Finally, Neville stood before her and his hands reached out slowly and held the sides of her face gently. She peered up at him, and the two saw nearly a mirrored image of just how tired they both were. It seemed from their first year at Hogwarts, things never stopped happening, even if they were good, there was always a mix of bad that had left them having to look over their shoulders, or on their toes. It was more than possible that the rest of the Hogwarts population that was still in attendance felt the same. How much longer was everyone expected to fight?

"I fully support your idea, Kefi," Neville told her, " you know I've always admired your bravery and seeing that this was your first idea, it shouldn't surprise me after all these years. I'll admit, I'm scared still, I'm afraid of you getting hurt, but I know within the state of this world, it's possible for you or me to get hurt at any given point. We can't live our lives just running, right?"

She couldn't argue with him, especially since he seemed to be reciting words that she had said to him before. "Right, Nevs."

"It was a point that your father brought up inside, about the Death Eaters taking over the Ministry, more than likely they have control over the school. That's why attendance has become mandatory and you saw it, Kefi, my own grandmother has been scared into the idea that we face worse consequences if we don't attend. I can imagine that's how a lot of other wizarding families are going to feel, they're going to send their children to school, hoping for some mercy."

Kefira shook her head at just how absurd it all sounded. "Mercy from Death Eaters? These adults are old enough to know that those people are not known to practice mercy. They joined Voldemort for a reason because they're just as mental as he is. They want to hurt people and sending their children back to the school, it's like...I can't even imagine what it's going to be like."

"Which is why I'm going back to Hogwarts."

With a hard swallow, Kefira was attempting to be supportive of Neville's decision, since he had been supportive of hers. But in the back of her mind, she was internally screaming at the idea of Neville being so close to danger on a daily basis. She wouldn't be there either,  and he didn't need her protection, but it had always worked out better when the two of them were looking after each other.

"Other families are going to send their children there and if Voldemort has the rule of the school, we can only assume that it's not going to work out for the majority of the student population," he said, " there are even first years coming in. Someone needs to be there for them inside, while you're out here getting people to safety."

"Nevs, some of the Death Eaters are going to remember you," Kefira whispered to him, " it won't be just the name, but they'll remember you from when you fought in the Department of Mysteries. Do you really think it's a good idea to be putting yourself in that situation? They might seek you out-"

"They're going to seek me out regardless, Kefi, if that's the case. I think any of us that support Harry are going to be at risk."

That did nothing to reassure Kefira as she looked to be on the verge of tears once more. She spoke with such confidence inside when it came to her own plan, but that was when she initially thought that Neville would be joining her and Bandile. But Neville wasn't upset with her, he knew that she wasn't upset because she lacked faith in his abilities. She was upset because she was afraid. It was the same fear that he felt when she announced what her plan was. There was no telling what the backlash would be for anyone that decided to take a stand against Voldemort and his followers, but everyone could guarantee that it would be nothing good.