Chapter Fifteen

While Neville had been dreading Professor Snape's class, Kefira had been dreading the Woman of Pink's class. The woman had spoken in a friendly manner during the Great Hall, claiming that she wanted to make friends with all the students and have a good year, but Kefira didn't believe the rubbish for a second. She wasn't sure if it was the woman's smile or the lack of a smile in the woman's eyes that rubbed her the wrong way, but Kefira didn't trust the woman as far as she could throw her. Judging by the size difference of the two, Kefira wouldn't be able to throw her at all, unless there was magic involved. 

Entering the classroom, she immediately eyed the fluffy pink woman that was seated at her desk. She froze in the doorway glaring in the woman's direction until Neville walked back and grabbed her hand, pulling her along until she was seated. As Neville guided her along, Umbridge's eyes followed them, her eyes staring directly at where Neville's fingers were intertwined with Kefira's. However, she didn't say anything as the two took their seats, as other students filed inside as well. 

Kefira sat back in her chair, folding her arms over her chest as she stared down the woman. She had a smile on her face, the same one from the night before, it was so aggressive in a sense that Kefira was beginning to wonder if her face would start to crack from forcing such an unnatural look on her face. She didn't even realize that she was coming across as hostile herself until Neville placed his hand on her back and rubbed his thumb in small circles over the top of her spine. It settled her down for a bit as she broke her glare and looked to him.

"Sorry," she said softly. "Did I growl again?"

"No," Neville chuckled. " Not yet, at least. I think you should just give her a chance, Kefi. It's the first day, she might just be nervous about teaching."

Despite how nasty people were to him, Neville had a way of always trying to look on the brighter side of things and giving people chances. Kefira wasn't as forgiving or nice about it, but for his sake, she would certainly try and give the woman a chance. She just hoped that the woman would prove her wrong and be a good Defense Against the Dark Arts professor. 

"Well, good afternoon!" She greeted them as soon as the students were all seated. Only a couple of students returned the greeting and so the reign of Umbridge began in their first class. "Tut,tut... that won't do, will it? I should like you, please, to reply "Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge!" One more time, please. Good afternoon, class!"

While the rest of the class chimed in to greet the professor as she requested, Kefira kept her lips pressed together defiantly. Neville hoped that the professor didn't notice her refusal to chant along with the other class and it seemed they were in the clear as the woman turned her back to them to give further instruction.

She instructed them to place their wands away and take their textbooks out. She began writing on the board, talking about returning back to the basic principles, bringing Kefira to glance over at Neville. He didn't understand why they had to return to the basics, despite the chaos that had taken over the years, it wasn't like they hadn't learned anything in the classes. Even a Death Eater had taken upon himself to teach them plenty of material, which didn't sound very pleasant but they had learned a great deal. 

The only time Neville could truly say they probably didn't learn something in the class was second year with Professor Lockhart, however, Professor Lupin had done his best to catch them up on the material needed and succeed, despite his monthly ordeals.

The woman had told them to read the first part of their books for the time of the class, leaving Kefira fuming in her seat. Neville could see the girl's fists tightening on the table as she was doing her best to hold back and refrain saying something that would start up anything. He had to admit from the time of their first year, Kefira was getting better at her self-control unless she felt something was completely unjust like Professor Snape's bullying in class. However, while Neville had been focused on keeping Kefira calm, the class was taking note of Hermione who had her hand up in the air, refusing to put it down until Professor Umbridge acknowledged her.