Chapter One Hundred Thirteen

Unfortunately, after Faye's death, as much as Neville attempted to rally Kefira into better spirits, things were not getting better in the Wizarding World. Despite the Ministry being in denial for so long that Voldemort had returned a couple of years prior, it seemed their careless attitude before had led them right into a full takeover. According to Bandile, Voldemort and his followers had been able to breach the Ministry, which meant nothing good was going to come from it. With their grips on the wizarding government, Bandile predicted the worst would be happening shortly and people were going to start being targeted, especially those that openly protested against Voldemort's views.

And he wasn't wrong either, as much as the Walsh and Longbottom family wanted him to be. Within weeks of everyone trying to keep a low profile and not draw any attention to themselves, it wasn't enough as letters addressed to all were being sent out. The first letter claimed that Hogwarts attendance would suddenly be mandatory that year, compared to any other where people had the option to attend or rather be homeschooled. But Bandile was able to decipher that it meant that they wanted all of the students back for a reason.

"They're wrangling up all of the students to sort through all the Muggle-borns and blood-traitors they can find, that's what it sounds like," he spoke one evening with a shake of his head. "They think they're being sneaky about it, or maybe not. Maybe this is their way of rubbing it into our faces that they have the upper hand right now."

"If these so-called Death Eaters are ruling the Ministry right now," Cardel interrupted, " that more than likely means they will have the rule of the school, correct?"

"They practically had the rule of the school once Dumbledore was killed," Bandile admitted. "As much as the other professors are brilliant, many of them won't bring themselves to face him. He only feared Dumbledore and now that he's gone, it's practically a toddler with free reign."

The Walsh family was gathered in their home, along with Augusta Longbottom and Neville, all of them sitting around the living room, by a small fire that was in place, just in case a message had to get through. But Bandile had a feeling that no one from the Order would even dare to use the Floo Network or anything of the source. Not with the Ministry taking a fall, which had been announced on the first of August. Kingsley Shacklebolt had been the one to deliver the news, while people were attending weddings or attempting to relax during the summer holidays, it was all ruined when his message came through that the Ministry had fallen and Scrimgeour was dead.

Bandile had been the one to deliver the news to Kefira and Neville, even though he didn't want to. But they needed to know, there was no sense of trying to shield them from the outside world, especially since Neville was of age, and Kefira would soon be of age as well within the wizarding world.

"Well then, they're certainly not going back!" Cardel snapped loudly, bringing everything to fall silent within the room. "There is no way in hell that I'm going to let Kefira attend some school that's overrun with people like that-"

"I don't think you understand, you don't have that say," Augusta interjected, "there is a reason they want the students back and any sort of defiance, is going to lead to further trouble. They have their ways of tracking down people, especially those who are against them."

There was such an incredulous look on Cardel's face as he couldn't believe what he was hearing. It sounded as if Augusta was giving in or at least, telling him to allow Kefira to return to a school where she would be facing trouble.

"So that's it," he said, " I'm supposed to just let my daughter go back where she's going to potentially be earmarked for something that's completely out of her control? Neville is a pureblood, but even if he were mine, I wouldn't let him go back!"