Chapter One Hundred Five

Entering the Great Hall the next morning, Kefira wasn't sure how to feel, torn between being pulled in two different directions

Entering the Great Hall the next morning, Kefira wasn't sure how to feel, torn between being pulled in two different directions. In one way, it seemed a lot of students had come together in the wake of the Headmaster's death. Students from different houses had gathered in groups, offering comforting hugs or their company during breakfast. Students that had probably never even spoken before were reaching out a hand to help others. It was inspiring and pleasant to see, in the time of tragedy and fear, people were still able to support one another. Different houses or blood status didn't seem to matter at that moment. 

However, at the same time, seeing all the crying faces left Kefira's smile to fade. Some were crying over Dumbledore, some were crying over the idea that the school had been attacked. Hogwarts had been the last place that they deemed safe and now, they realised that it no longer was. Many of them cried over the idea that their parents were not going to allow them to come back, even if the school opened its doors again. Kefira could relate to that, she already knew that she wasn't coming back. Her parents would probably take to stapling her to the floor to avoid letting her go. 

Despite the food being set out on the tables, no one made the effort to eat. Everyone quietly whispering among themselves or with others. Some students even found themselves in the company of professors to see how they were fairing. Yet, as she glanced towards the faculty table, Kefira caught sight of Professor McGonagall sitting there with a solemn look on her face. She seemed to be staring off into the distance, not really focused on anything. 

"Nevs," Kefira whispered as she squeezed the boy's hand, bringing his attention to focus on her, " I think we should go talk to her. See how she's doing, you know? I can't imagine she's doing too well, after all, Dumbledore was her mentor and friend."

Neville didn't put up any sort of protest as he nodded his head and the two made her way over towards the Head of their House. McGonagall didn't even seem to notice that she was being approached until Kefira reached out her hand and set it down on the woman's knee.

"Professor?" Kefira called out to her. "Professor, are you alright?"

Finally, the woman's gaze peered over in their direction, her eyes darting back and forth over the too. She seemed almost relieved to see them and in a way, she was. McGonagall was more than relieved to see that the two of them were in good health, especially after what had fallen upon the school. She knew that something worse could have happened to both of them, each of them had been in the line of fire, placing their lives in danger to fight. 

Not even seventh years at the time and they were willing to risk it all to defend the castle and those inside. 

"Yes," she answered, "I'm fine. Fine as can be given the circumstances. How are you two fairing? Are you feeling well? Is your head giving you any pain, Miss Walsh?"

"We're fine, Professor," Neville reassured her, " we just wanted to make sure you were as well."

"Yeah, we had to check in with the Mother Lion," Kefira smiled at her. "You've done an amazing job keeping everything together."