Chapter Sixty

It came to the dreaded time where the Walsh family had to say goodbye to Kefira as her sixth year at Hogwarts was starting up. With last year ending in pure chaos, along with a torturous Defence Against the Dark Arts professor, her parents were hesitant about sending her back again. Each year something else seemed to arise in the castle and they were terrified that Kefira would end up getting hurt, but Bandile reassured them that Kefira would be fine. She knew how to handle herself and she had survived the previous five years, she would be able to manage another year no matter what was thrown her way. But it never stopped the parents from worrying, not only for her but Neville as well. 

The boy had become part of the family from the first time he was introduced and during the time he spent with the Walsh family over the years, Alana and Cardel worried about the boy as if he were one of their own. Especially since they knew how much he meant to their daughter. Kefira had struggled to find make friends all throughout her childhood with her bold attitude but finally, she had met someone who enjoyed her company for who she was and also helped balance her out a bit.

This year, Augusta agreed to bring both of them to the train station to save Alana and Cardel the trip. But knowing their daughter was going to be departing from their sooner, they held onto Kefira as much as they could.

"You know, I love you guys too," Kefira said attempting to regulate her breathing under their tight hold," but this is a bit much. We don't have to do this every year, do we?"

"Hush," Cardel said, " you only have to suffer through it one more year, allow your mother and me to make a scene. We don't get many opportunities in the year to do so."

"It's going to be Christmas before you two even know it," Kefira told them," the first part of term always goes by extremely fast...well, unless we're around Professor Snape, then time goes incredibly slow and around Professor Binns, I swear time actually stops in that class."

"Yes, yes," Alana said, " now, do you remember what your Uncle Bandile told you over the summer?"

Kefira nodded her head. "Beer before liquor makes you sicker, liquor before beer you're in the clear!"

Her parents' eyes widened before Kefira started laughing. "Just kidding, don't worry, I'll keep a low profile, well, as low as it's going to get."

"Kefi-" Her father began in a warning tone but Kefira cut him.

"Dad, Godric told me about learning to choose my battles and as of last year, I think I'm finally getting the hang of it. But that doesn't mean I'm going to change who I am entirely. If I think something is going to wrong, I'm going to speak up, especially if no one else is going to. It's not fair if people can't stand up for themselves to let them suffer in silence. I'm not going to go looking for trouble but I'm not going to be tolerant of others being bullied. Whether they are professors or students."

Cardel smiled before letting his hand rest on the top of her poofy hair. "You don't have to tell me all this, Kefira, I knew you were a fighter from the time you were born. You fight for yourself and for others and your mother and I couldn't be more proud of you. But we're going to worry about you no matter what you say. One day, if you have a child of your own, you'll see why."

"I think I'm going to just stick to having pets, Dad, but I guess I get what you're saying, I do worry about Loxie."

The two glanced over to the owl that was tending to her feathers, causing Loxie to glance up and stare at them. Suddenly, Kefira hit her father's arm lightly.

"Give the owl some privacy, will you? The lady is cleaning her feathers, she doesn't need you staring, Dad."

"Sorry, Loxie," Cardel muttered quickly before Kefira left to grab the cage for Loxie before she had to leave.