Chapter Sixty Nine

Kefira and Neville planned on having a nice quiet evening, stress-free if they could help it completely. They planned on having dinner in the Great Hall and then coming back to the Common Room to sit by the fire and read. It was one of Kefira's favorite things to do, settle by the fire whether on the floor or on one of the sofa's, wearing one of Neville's jumper and the two share a book. She didn't care if it had to do with Herbology, she just wanted something to take her mind off of Potions and everything and everyone associated with it. Neville seemed extremely excited to just relax with Kefira.

With her stressing over Potions class, with Dean and Seamus being awkwardly distant with one another, he couldn't help but wish that things would go back to the way they were. He wanted Kefira happy, not worrying if Harry was going to one-up her in Potions, not having Professor Snape trying to get her to one-up Harry in Potions, nothing of it. If he could get her giggling and back to her usual cheery self than he would be happy too.

They walked alongside each other, hand in hand through the corridor, on their way to the Great Hall, discussing what book they were going to read that evening.

"Any new book come out from Tegwen?" Kefira asked him as she peered up at him.

"Well, now that you mention it," Neville grinned, " Are you sure you're not growing tired of me reading her work to you?"

"Tired? No. Slightly jealous, maybe," she said in a teasing tone, bringing the two of them to laugh until they heard someone call for her. They turned around to see Professor Slughorn making his way over with a bright smile on his face. Kefira rolled her eyes but Neville nudged her, reminding her to be polite as the man was a professor. 

"How are you this evening, Miss Walsh?" He asked, not even bothering to look over at Neville and ask the same, despite the fact that the boy was standing right next to her.

"I'm fine, how are you, Professor?" She asked in return, although her tone didn't sound the least bit interested as to what he had to say. 

"Oh, splendid, but I'm hoping it could be a bit better. I'm holding a small get together this evening, you know, a small party of sorts. I've already invited McLaggen and Zabini. Hoping to get Mr. Potter to join us along with Miss Granger. Oh, there's also Miss Bobbins..."

Neville could tell from how tight Kefira was holding onto his hand that she was refraining from saying anything harsh to the man, but it was growing harder and harder with every passing second. 

"Actually, Professor, I can't," Kefira told him, " unfortunately,....Neville here is feeling quite under the weather and I promised that I would stay with him this evening. Madam Pomfrey is whipping him up something in the Hospital Wing as we speak so he can take it after dinner."

Professor Slughorn turned to Neville, who suddenly began coughing, not bothering to cover his mouth while Kefira fanned his face.

"Still haven't figured out what it is," she said, " I certainly hope it's not contagious."

"I hope so as well, I wouldn't want any of my guests coming down with anything," Slughorn told her as he backed away. "Perhaps another time, rest easy!"

The two never thought they would see such a large man move so quickly, as he hoped to avoid getting whatever Neville had. As soon as he was out of earshot and disappeared around a corner, Kefira began giggling before turning to Neville.

"Those are quite the acting skills you have, Nevs. You pulled it off greatly!" 

Neville took a small bow before offering his hand back to her to take. "Well, I figured you wanted to get out of the whole thing and I was kinda hoping you would too. I mean, we do have plans."