Chapter 6: Totem trouble

After healing my pokemon, I followed Ilima to a huge cave. "Now, allow me to explain the rules of this trial," he started. "You need to find and battle three pokemon throughout the cave, and at the same time, try to get to the exit. You're not allowed to catch any pokemon during trials, so don't take out any empty pokeballs. At the exit, you will find a very powerful pokemon who you need to battle; that pokemon is called a totem pokemon. You'll find one in all seven of your trials. A totem pokemon is much larger and more powerful than a regular pokemon, and it gives off an orange aura."

Taking down three Yungoos was pretty easy, and Bubble, Spike and I defeated then without a single scratch. Before I knew it, we were at the exit. I stepped outside the cave, ready to battle the totem pokemon. I looked around; there was tall, dry grass everywhere, and the clearing was surrounded by a rocky mountain. "Hello-o!!!" I shouted. As my words echoed, I heard a loud rustling in the grass. I looked around, wondering whether I should run or stay. Before I could run, a large ferret pokemon with what looked like blonde hair on its head jumped out of the grass. An orange aura surrounded the tall pokemon, which Rotom told me was a Gumshoos. This must be the totem pokemon Ilima was talking about, I realized.
I sent out Spike, who looked kind of reluctant to battle, but probably decided to get it over with anyways. "Start it off with poison sting!" Spike jumped into the air, then jabbed Gumshoos with his spikes. Just then, I saw a Yungoos appear. It's probably going to help Gumshoos, I predicted. Somehow, my prediction was right, because Yungoos attacked Spike.
Suddenly, I got an idea. What if...I defeat Gumshoos first, and then Yungoos? If I defeat Yungoos first, then another Yungoos will probably appear. I decided to test my idea. "Spike, use scald on Gumshoos!" The attack soaked Gumshoos completely. Now it was angry. It charged forward, showing its sharp teeth, and then it bit Spike, who slammed into a tree face first as I realized Gumshoos had used super fang. Ouch. Just then, Gumshoos started throwing up. It's been poisoned, I realized. Yungoos attacked Spike, then leapt back.

After quite some time, Gumshoos was still up and attacking, but so was Spike. I ordered him to use poison sting. He jabbed his spikes into Gumshoos, who fell backward. But soon, Gumshoos got up and used super fang again. Spike kept using his attack, though. I thought Yungoos would go and help Gumshoos, but it just chickened out and watched in fear.
Soon, both Spike and Gumshoos got knocked back by each others attacks. They fell over, then weakly tried to get back up. While Spike stood up, weak but still determined, Gumshoos fainted, which startled Yungoos even more. Spike smiled and let out a victory cry. After watching the small yungoos disappear into the tall grass, I saw a small white crystal in Gumshoos' paw.