Chapter 55: The first battle

The next day, I woke up and saw some sunlight shining through the glass screen; in a way, it gave me a feeling of hope. I was still tired, though, so I rolled over and tried to go back to sleep until I heard something on the announcements.

"Attention! The first battle for side 1 will be starting in five minutes! Millie and Emma, please make sure your pokemon are fully healed, and then head over to stadium one!"

"What the heck???!!!" I shouted as I shot my eyes open and darted out of bed, accidentally waking up Yvonne in the process. "Millie, what's wrong?" She asked, stifling a yawn. "I overslept!" I replied quickly as I tried to find my clothes. "My first battle's in five minutes! There's no time to talk! Just hurry and get dressed!"

There was a minute left until my battle. My pokemon were healed, and I was ready, but I had trouble finding stadium one. Yvonne had found the stadium a different way; since she was in the audience, there were doors to where the bleachers were in each stadium.
"So...Millie is still not here..." I overheard Steve say into the microphone, which threw me into a huge panic.

Five minutes later, I finally found the door to the battlefield. "Okay..." I heard Steve say. "Since Millie still hasn't shown up, she is now disqua-" "I'm here!!!" I shouted at the top of my lungs as I rushed through the door. As I tried to catch my breath from running, I began to feel guilty for being late, especially when I heard complaints from the audience. "It's about time!" "What took so long?" "Oh my dear Arceus..." "We've been waiting here for almost an hour!" "Stupid little kids!" "C'mon, lets see some action already!"
I looked at my opponent, Emma. She had long, platinum hair that was put into a messy ponytail, and green eyes. There were blue glasses on her face, and she wore a red hoodie and light brown shorts.
"I've trained hard for this moment," Emma stated. "I have five pokemon here, and all of them are ready to take you down!" "I've trained hard, as well," I pointed out, "and I have six pokemon. Strength in numbers." "I'm still going to win," Emma insisted, "but enough from me. Yuki, go!" "Cobalt, you too!" With that, we both sent out our pokemon. What came out of Emmas pokeball was a majestic Alolan Ninetales wearing an orange bandana on its neck. I guess Yuki was its nickname.
"Yuki, ice beam!" "Cobalt, use steel wing!" Cobalt flew toward Yuki, her left wing glowing. Even though she was only about half a foot above the ground, Cobalt could still fly pretty fast. Her speed wasn't much help, though; she still got hit by ice beam. Cobalt still managed to deal a lot of damage to Yuki, though.
"You're off to a good start, Cobalt. Steel wing again!" "Yuki, try to avoid Skarmory with blizzard!" Cobalts wing began to glow again, and she soared higher. Blizzard slowed her down, though, and once she hit Yuki with steel wing, Cobalt froze into a solid ice block. "Cobalt!" "Now's your chance, Yuki! Ice shard!" Yuki opened its mouth and shot out a bunch of spiked ice chunks. One of them hit Cobalt with enough force to crack the ice block and free her. With that, she flew up way higher. "Yuki, try to hit it with ice beam!" "Dodge it and use metal claw!" Yuki shot a fairly large ice beam at Cobalt, but the Skarmory gracefully dodged. She then swooped down and knocked Yuki out with a huge blow.

The rest of Emmas pokemon weren't much of a challenge. They were all ice types, just like Yuki; Dewgong, Beartic, Mamoswine and Glaceon. Cobalt fainted when she was battling Mamoswine, but thankfully Racky defeated Mamoswine, along with Glaceon.

At the end of the day, Yvonne and I sat in the hot tub in our hotel room. She had also won against her opponent, a boy named Jimmy.
"So apparently you're battling Gladion tomorrow," Yvonne told me. "Gladion?" I echoed. "I never knew he entered the league." "Well, he did. He said Lillie and Lusamine would be coming to watch, as well." "Who are you battling against tomorrow?" "A boy named Todd. He's one of Cams friends." "Huh." As we talked some more, I wondered what kind of pokemon Gladion would have, since I hadn't battled him since the time I saved Elliot and Femur.

Whatever he has, though, I thought, I have to win. I have to accomplish my goal.