[ 11 ]

From James

I know Brandon couldnt never keep his mouth shut, but wazup Shawn? Imma be in the hospital for a while. I got this real rare brain cancer. Sometimes I be having seizures. I usually have em for about a minute. I have no control over myself. It's rough dude.. Im good though. How u doin?

I really didn't know how to respond to him. Damn he was having a hard time

 To James

Damn dude, you coo? What hospital you at? Im A'ight.

From James

Im good. just here. St. Kindred Hospital down here on grand Blvd. Hol up the doctor talking to me.

I sat back in my chair dropping my fork against my pancakes making both Kayla, and Olivia eye me. "Can we got to the hospital after breakfast?"

                             "James?" I nodded. "James Null." I told the nurse his last name, and her face lit up with familiarity. "Room 306."

I walked off towards the elevator with Kayla, and Olivia following behind me. We all stood inside waiting for the elevator to rise to floor 3. I walked towards room 6 as soon as the elevators doors opened.

James was laying down in bed with a food tray next to him on a bed-side table.

"Aye James?" James looked over at me and smiled. "Aye. I ain't really think you was really gonna come. Wadup dude. Hi Kayla, Wazup Olivia." Kayla gave James a warm smile, while Olivia just gave him a blank stare. She never did like him, but could she be bitter towards him at another time.

I caught James's hand sitting down in the chair by his bed.

Kayla leaned down hugging him. James looked like he was enjoying it. If he wasn't laying up in a hosptial bed I woulda punched him in the head. He had, had  a crush on Kayla ever since he'd met her in 6th grade. Kayla sat down, and Olivia just kissed his forehead sitting far away on the other side of the room.

"When are you suppose to come back to school?" James shrugged. " I don't know. I get worst everytime I have a seizure. My whole right side is weak now." A flash of saddness ran through James's eyes, but he just smiled like everything was all good.

I nodded. "We gonna get you outta here so we can play football next year." James laughed. "Right."

                      I sat there with him for about two hours joking, tryna make him laugh. He started laughing really hard, talking about how we were gonna get whooped because we didn't know that much about football, and as he got his last word out he started to shake violently.

Kayla ran out the door to get a nurse. I didn't know what to do so I looked at him cluelessly, as we were all ushered out the room.

Olivia took me by the shoulders directing me toward the elevator. I felt a couple tears leave my eyes as we stepped on the elevator. Kayla brought me to her kissing my head.

                     I didn't even wanna be home no more, I just asked if I could go for a walk. Olivia didn't want me to go because she was worried, but Kayla convinced her that I needed some air. So I stuck my menthol lights in my pocket and left.

I was on my second cigarette when I realized I had walked over 4 miles on foot, I turned and started walking back to my house putting the remaining carton of cigarettes in my back pocket. I walked passed Brandon's house to see him doing something with his Dad.

I wondered how his parent's would react when he was ready to come out, they were strictly catholic. I waved at Brandon. He smiled at me waving back. His Dad looked over his shoulder. "Hey Shawn." I smiled, and kept walking passing up James house after another block.

I got to my house, and walked in the front door to see Kimi sitting on the living room couch.

Kayla come out the kitchen a teasing smile on her face. I knew I was about to get teased later after Kimi left . "Kimi, what you doing here?"  Kimi pushed a plastic bag over to me that was full of papers.

"The principle told me to give you James's homework. I went by the school today, and got it."  I took the bag nodding. "Okay." Kimi stood up. "Okay." Kayla smiled. "Kimi, you wanna stay for dinner." I shot Kayla a look, but she ignored me.

Kimi smiled. "Okay. I have to call my Mom back though." Kimi took out her phone walking off in another direction while dialing. "She is SOO cute Shawn" Kayla whispered to me. "So cute. You should make her your girlfriend."

I shook my head embarrassed. "Be quiet Kayla, be quiet before she hears you." Kayla squealed "Awe,you like her? Don't you?"

I sighed feeling my face grow hot.

Kayla smiled. "Awe! Is she your first crush??" I didn't answer. Kayla was smiling really hard, and bouncing on her heels. "Tell me. Is she?" I nodded. "She's the only girl I had ever really liked.. so I guess so."

Kayla smiled. "She definitely staying." I sighed again.

Kimi came back to the living room. "I can stay." Kayla clasped her hands together eyeing us as if we were already together. "Get out, and go to your room while I make dinner." My room? She must trust me alone with Kimi.

I took Kimi to my room, but I left the door open.

Olivia was walking, but she didn't say anything as she walked by my room. She just smiled looking at Kimi, and winking at me. I glared at her till she walked away. "So..this is my room." I told Kimi. Kimi just nodded sitting on my chair in the corner.

"Its nice." was all she said. I sat on the bed. Other than school or when I was chillin' with Quincy I had never really been alone with her. I don't know why I was feeling all shy. I had walked her home before.

"Umm, You wanna watch tv?" Kimi nodded. "Sure."

I walked over turning the t.v. on. We were both quiet for thirty minutes. I kept looking at Kimi, and she kept looking at me. "Shawn! Kimi! Dinner!" I jumped up at the same time Kimi did, and Kimi's whole face turned red as she looked at me, and look away.

If I could blush I know I'd be looking like her right now.

She walked ahead of me, and I was looking elsewhere to avoid eyeing her ass.

We were all sitting down while Kayla and Olivia asked Kimi questions. I was quietly eatting my lasagna. "Whats your favorite subject in school, Kimi?" Kimi put a bite of lasagna in her mouth chewing first than swallowing, "I like science. I wanna be a scientist." Olivia and Kayla looked at each other, smiled, and than looked at me.

                                                 I felt my face heat up so I looked down at my plate.

 I waited in the front room later on with Kimi til her Mom came. "See you at school Monday." I nodded walking her to the front door. I held the front door open, and Kimi suddenly turned, and I felt her soft lips touch my own.

---------------------------------------------------------------

lol the way Kayla was acting tho, like that was his soulmate or something lol..