The Secret

History class. I absolutely loved History. All the time on tour I ask someone to go with me to historical sites and museums. Jaime isn't that into it since he can't touch most of the stuff and has to behave. Vic is the most into, I would say. Dad and Mike could really care less unless it's something that strikes their fancy. But that doesn't happen often. 

As I walked into the classroom Russell had pointed out to me earlier, I saw Blake sitting in the back corner with his headphones in and eyes closed. I nervously bit my lip and headed to the seat beside him. He might think I'm weird for sitting next to him in every class but I don't really care. I could hear the music from Blake's headphones. Neck Deep.

I couldn't help myself from finger drumming on my desk to Crushing Grief. Before I knew it Blake had an earphone out and was watching me silently. I felt blush rise to my cheeks and I stopped finger drumming.

"You're a fan of Neck Deep?" Blake asked.

I nodded. I'm more than a fan, actually. I'm a friend. But of course I wasn't going to say that out loud. "Yeah. They're one of my favorite bands."

Blake raised an eyebrow as he gave me a once over, "You don't look like you listen to good music."

I shrugged, "Looks aren't everything."

I saw Veronica walk in and once she noticed me she took the empty desk to my left. She stayed quiet and I could hear All Time Low blasting from her headphones. If she listens to All Time Low and follows them on social media, especially Instagram, she might recognize me. Blake gave a small chuckle, "You know, you look pretty familiar. Do I know you from somewhere?"

I shrugged. Don't panic. He could recognize me from Neck Deep's Instagram if he follows them. If anyone in this school follows anyone in the music scene on Instagram or Snap Chat they can easily recognize me. "I go to a lot of shows."

"What was the last show you went to?" He asked as he leaned forward a bit.

"Pierce The Veil, Neck Deep, and I Prevail." I replied. I mean, it was true but it wasn't around here. Blake nodded, "Which venue did you see them at?"

"All." I replied without thinking. 

Blake chuckled, "I only saw them at The High Note. No one else wanted to hit up Burkley with me."

I looked over at Blake, "Well, if you ever want to go to a show you should totally call me. I'm always down for shows and I'm sick of going with my dad and uncles."

Realization ran across Blake's face and I knew he recognized me, "Wait, I remember you. You were by me at the Chunk show with the guy who had a ton of badass tattoos and another guy who kept trying to salsa dance."

I plopped my head down on the desk. Of course he would remember Jaime. I don't know why but he always tries to do something in the crowd to embarrass me, especially if we're near a guy my age. I had loved the Chunk! No, Captain Chunk! show. Dad was cool and had a few beers and kept lifting me up so I could see the band better. Jaime on the other hand, had a bartender who wanted him dead of alcohol poisoning. He was smashed and was singing the songs out of tune, but earning lots of finger guns and high fives from the members of Chunk. They thought he was hilarious. I didn't remember Blake from that night, though.

"That would be Jaime. He dances the more he drinks. My dad is the one with all the tattoos." I replied with my head still down. I was afraid of Blake seeing the embarrassment. 

"They seemed pretty cool. No one in my family would ever go to a show like that with me, much less know any of the songs." Blake said.

I raised my head and looked over at him, "My family is super into the music scene. They pulled me into it at a young age."

Blake's eyes lit up and started to sparkle, "Really? How?"

"Well, my dad and Jaime, who is my godfather, would always play punk music when I was little. My first show was MxPx, then Mest and Rancid. My dad would put these dorky oversized earmuffs on me before we went in. Any show around here they would go to and apparently I would cry unless they promised to take me with them. And now my dad does a lot of work with the music industry and when he goes away for a while I normally go with him. There's usually music talk 24/7 at my house." I said, careful at what I said Dad did. Blake smiled, "Can your dad adopt me? Please? My parents don't even want to hear my music. They prefer bad country music. Like, I get that we moved here from Tennessee but I hate country."

I nodded. I dislike country but I still appreciate that love, determination, and a lot of work went into it. Before I could say anything else the teacher walked in and everyone went silent.