watch your back

» watch your back «

» watch your back «

SCOUT PAXTON KNEW THE STREETS OF BROOKLYN LIKE HER OWN BACKYARD. She walked through them day by day seamlessly, and fought in them at night without much complication. Usually, she could freely walk without a care in the world, but something shifted that night. As she walked back home from Derek's, Brooklyn seemed stiller, less noisy, quieter. She at first ignored it, telling herself she was getting worked up over nothing.

She couldn't shake the paranoia though. As she made her way down the sidewalks, she felt as if someone was watching her. She adjusted her hood and tightened the straps of her backpack. Her footsteps laddered against the pavement, and when she thought she heard another pair, she whipped her head around, but nothing was there. Just a paper sack rolling down the road.

She let out a shaky breath, keeping her eyes forward. Just another twenty minutes and she'd be home. She could make it, she was just psyching herself out. She gulped, listening intently to the soft breeze, and the occasional sound of doors opening and closing. She went over all the remaining homework she had in her head, trying to distract herself from the haunted feeling coursing through her.

As she rounded a corner, something caught her eye several yards ahead. Her eyes trained on a figure in a black coat and hat, face shielded with some sort of ski mask. Scout stopped dead in her tracks as the figure quickly hid again. She counted one, two, three, and then a hand reached back out from the same spot, holding a large gun.

She barely had time to get out of the way as a bullet fired from it, whipping through her hair as she jumped to the side. She saw it hit the wall next to her, exploding in a ray of sparks.

Her head whipped around, seeing the figure cock the gun again, more bullets flying at her. She threw herself to the ground, the ammo landing next to her. She whipped her head up to see them waking towards her, and she muttered a few profanities under her breath, pushing herself off of the sidewalk, stumbling as she got to her feet.