as we fall

» as we fall «

» as we fall «

SCOUT PAXTON HAD ALWAYS HELD ONTO THE KNOWN TRUTH THAT SHE COULD WALK THROUGH FIRE AND STILL COME OUT AS GOLD; THIS WAS HER CONFIDENCE. Knowing that despite what happened to her she would still turn out okay was what pushed her forwards in the direction of justice. Her righteousness was found in the person she turned into after she faced the hardships. She always told herself that she'd already seen the worst of the worst, that she had already lived in rock bottom, and that she couldn't go anywhere but up.

She'd walked through fire after fire. She'd felt the heat on her face, she'd possessed the flames in her eyes, and she'd wiped the ashes away from her skin. Where there was fire, she was the stilling water, the raging sea, the pouring rain that extinguished the darkness growing around her. But for the first time, Scout was caught in the fire and was finally starting to feel the burns.

Her life had taken a complete turn for the worst. She never would have expected such to happen. At first, she had wished she was back home in Brooklyn more than anything. She would take the pain she felt there over the possibility of dying light years away any day. But now, she wasn't so sure whether or not she'd be better off at home. Every time she thought about the streets of New York, she was reminded of the circumstances waiting for her there. A dead grandmother, still no parents, a new house hours away. If they even won the battle they were facing, she couldn't guarantee that the people she cared about would make it out alive.

The dire thought of is this even worth it kept settling on her mind, and it weighed on her soul.

Scout Paxton was almost broken. Almost. For the one thing managing to hold her together was the boy who stayed by her side through it all.

When Scout looked at Peter Parker, that's all it took for her to realign her thoughts and tell herself that of course it was worth it. As long as she had him, she had everything she needed. He provided her with such boundless love that her heart rested solely against his, he was her entire support system. As her eyes laid upon his, that was the only time she saw a future for herself. In him.