little miss hero

» little miss hero «

January 26

THE MALL WAS FILLED WITH THE SOUNDS OF MANY BUSY SHOPPERS. Bags rustled against each other, voices echoed through the massive corridors, and fun music played over the intercoms. Chelsea Market was a popular place in New York, especially this time of year. The building was packed to the brim with shoppers trying to squeeze in some last minute post-Christmas deals, the sales and clearances were far too good to pass up.

Scout Paxton's boots tapped against the white tile floors, her body leaned against the wall. She chewed a piece of bubble gum, cringing a little when her teeth hit the small piece of metal implanted into it. She held a magazine in front of her, flipping through the pages even though she wasn't reading them. Her eyes looked over the rim of the pamphlet, focusing on each person passing by.

She saw girls walking in and out of fashion stores with way too many bags to fit on their arms. She watched as old couples held hands while slowly making their way towards the food court. Bundles of kids played and ran around, causing headaches for their mothers and entertainment for their fathers. The mall was alive and hustling, people from all walks of life filled the extensive walls.

"They just left the east wing." Peter's voice said. Scout reached to her ear piece, turning it up a bit and tucking her hair out of the way for it to be less muffled. "Where are you?"

"I'm north," She replied, pushing her glasses back up on her nose. She kept her voice low so that Peter wouldn't recognize it. She felt like she looked absolutely ridiculous; not only was she wearing sunglasses indoors, but she was also dressed in a largely oversized trench coat. Her wet suit resembled leggings, and her combat boots completed the look, making her appearance the opposite of fashion forward. "You keeping eyes on them?"

"From above, yes. Let's see, they're wearing...black. All black. These guys are so stupid, don't they realize black males you look ten times more suspicious?" Peter critiqued. Scout chuckled, at least they would be easy to spot. "They're starting to split up. It's about time, they've been walking together this whole time. Wow, these guys just scream criminal! Do they even have common sense?"