end of an era

» end of an era «

» end of an era «

AS SCOUT PAXTON STARED AT HER REFLECTION IN THE MIRROR, SHE REALIZED THREE TRUTHS. The first was that she looked vastly different than when she had woken up three weeks prior. The dark circles underneath her eyes had slowly faded away, and the color in her complexion had returned. Her eyes were brighter than they usually were, the dark, pacific hue being replaced by a rather electrically opaque transparency. The bruises on her body had almost completely diminished, yet she would forever bear a scar on her stomach. All in all, she was beginning to look healthy again.

The second truth was that as she had gotten older, she had begun to resemble her mother more and more. Her short hair was the same length that Gale's was, and her heart-shaped face matched the same structure of the one she used to say goodnight to every evening. She thought about when she went into the past and saw her mother again, and the memory warmed her up.

Finally, the black, form-fitting dress that she currently wore truly made her look older, a visual representation that she was nearing adulthood. She was no longer the scared, curse-ridden child she used to be. She no longer feared her power or tried to suppress it. She knew her strengths, she knew her weaknesses, and she was unapologetically both Scout Paxton and the Electric Siren. There was no more hiding, for she had finally become who she was destined to be.

She saw movement behind her, and her reflection was then joined by another. Peter stood behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist. He held her body comfortably, placing a soft kiss on her cheek before resting his chin on her shoulder. His prescence alone was enough to soothe her. The two had grown up so much, enduring a metamorphosis together that shaped them from two teenagers with high school crushes into pure soulmates.

She thought back to the earlier years when she and Peter began to get to know each other. The simple, sweet moments caressed her mind and soul with a soft touch, reminding her of how far they had come. From homemade suits and fears of saying the words 'I love you', they had grown into so much more than what they started as. She never would've thought that this would be what their journey would entail, but she knew that as long as he was beside her, she'd be able to move forward.