the rise of the setting sun

» the rise of the setting sun «

IT SEEMED LIKE IT HAD BEEN A MILLENNIUM SINCE SCOUT PAXTON HAD GONE FIVE MINUTES WITHOUT BEING REMINDED OF THE DIRE CIRCUMSTANCES HANGING OVER HER HEAD. It seemed like no matter where she was, and no matter how hard she tried to slip away from reality, there was always something that reeled her back in. If she was at home, all she had to do was look at the empty space on the couch. If she was at school, people were giving her pity glances in response to the silently known fact that she was going through a hard time.

She couldn't even bear to put on her mask, for she feared that while she was busy saving someone else's life, she wouldn't be there when the most important person to her lost theirs.

No matter the day, no matter the occasion, Scout couldn't forget that her grandmother was dying.

Except, there was one place where Scout felt like she could relax a bit. It was late in the afternoon when Scout had found herself walking through the streets of New York after visiting Nani once again, and she eventually found herself standing in front of Derek and Jerry's front door. The chilly air nipped at the back of her neck, the loose hairs from her ponytail blowing gently in the breeze when she had knocked on the door.

The two men didn't hesitate to let her in, fully aware of the situation at hand. They didn't question her when she walked in and immediately made her way to the back room that held the workout equipment, and she was quick to pull off her sweatshirt, leaving her in just her athletic shorts and sports bra. She tightened hand wraps around her knuckles and picked up the seventy-or-so pound punching bag, chaining it up and taking a few steps back.

Derek watched her with pity in his eyes, and he nervously twisted his newly recent wedding ring around his finger. Jerry placed a reassuring hand on Derek's shoulder, and Derek looked at him with sad eyes. He was undeniably worried about Scout; she was like a little sister to both of them, and in two years, they'd cared about her as if she really was. They hated seeing Scout so torn up, so out of touch with who she truly was, and they wished for nothing more than for her broken pieces to be mended again.