no one else but you

» no one else but you «

SCOUT PAXTON WAS BLANKLY STARING AT HER BIOCHEMISTRY WORKSHEET WHILE THE LYRICS TO 'THE MAGIC SCHOOL BUS' THEME SONG PLAYED OVER AND OVER IN HER HEAD. It had been a mistake to drown her sorrows in desserts and childhood shows the previous day. Once she had come back home from Manhattan, she had endured a good cry, and then raided the bakery for leftover pastries to eat. She brought a plateful of cookies up to her room and spent the rest of the evening watching old shows she loved as a kid, resulting in a Magic School Bus marathon. But now, she couldn't get the tune out of her head, or the image of Miss Frizzle.

She hadn't told her family why she had been so upset. When she trudged through the door with a frown on her face and eyes looking as if they would spill tears any second, Nani simply let her lock herself in her room, knowing her granddaughter needed to be alone. She held her tongue when she saw Scout sneak some of her cookies into her bedroom an hour later, letting her stress eat just this one instance.

A little past nine o'clock, Scout had fallen asleep. Her body, mind, and soul were all worn out from the day, and once her eyes dropped closed, she was out like a light. Papa had found her and placed several blankets over her to keep her warm, kissing her on the forehead as he wished for her to have sweet dreams.

Because she wasted so much time feeling sorry for herself, she failed to complete her biochem homework, resulting in her teacher sending her out into the hallway to work. She had been staring at the same question about nucleic acids for at least seven minutes, not even knowing where to start. She was really wishing she had done the reading for the class like she was supposed to.

She looked up when she heard footsteps, seeing a familiar face walking down the hallway towards her, sneakers padding against the linoleum floor. Liz Allan was juggling several posters in her hands, stopping to tape one up on the wall. A couple of the posters fell out of her arms, and Scout immediately popped up to go help.